Skip to main content

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator

More
10 years 2 months ago #136148 by atkipete
I went to an information session held by the VTA about this new body which is taking over from 10th Feb. The NHVR is based in Brisbane and aims to unify road rules for heavy vehicles and become a "one stop shop" for oversize and access permits.
Bad news, they are also bringing in a new "work diary" and all drivers are supposed to have these in 6-12 months.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #136149 by
No bad news there you still must have a work diary
over a certain gvm they just give you six months to get a new one. In nsw you still don't have to fill one out under 100 k's. BUT you should have a work sheet on the hours and k's they will be looking at that in the future.
The big company's I work for do audits so you must have all that stuff anyway, also they want to see a maintance sheet as well. It's the way it's going and you have just got to make shure all the ducks are kept in a row. Lucky biros are tax deductable.
AND they will be looking at all the people who have LOST 5 or six work diarys a year yep they will be under the microscope.
If we don't like all the crap involved get a job driving a bulldozer....

10 years 2 months ago #136150 by

More
10 years 2 months ago #136151 by Cunning Stunt
Spot on old dog, I work in compliance now and see it all. A lot of company's are struggling but most are trying to do the right thing. Some things will never change but the whip is cracking harder and harder. Cootes is just the beginning

Some play hard to get

More
10 years 2 months ago #136152 by mammoth
Although the outfit is based in Brisbane (because Qld was first out of the blocks with the legislation) for NSW you will still be dealing with people at Glen Innes for permits and special schemes etc. They have just recruited more staff so remains a state based organisation, just has a different mast head.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136153 by Cunning Stunt
Thats right mammoth but rest assured, there is a lot more movement from NHVR than there ever was with RMS, I think it will be very positive

Some play hard to get

More
10 years 2 months ago #136154 by rex
Cunning Stunt

While a National system is a positive move for the industry I can't agree that it will better what the RMS currently requires. NSW has lead the way with fully equipped Checking Stations Safety Cam and various other methods to improve heavy vehicle road safety and regulation. Our Company engages in the movement of heavy / large loads that require extensive investigation to ensure they are safe to move on our roads before we can obtain a Permit. The requirements in NSW far exceed that of any other State when you need to move a large / heavy load. There is no doubt the National system will work in time but it will still return to each State to ensure that it's rules are enforced.

Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136155 by Cunning Stunt
Hey Rex, I know your business well and have spent my fair amount of time trying to get oversize permits out of RMS. I agree that we have some better structures in NSW but attempting to nationalise the road rules is a good thing as they varied so much state to state. I work in NHVAS extensively and the NHVR approach has been very strong compared to how RMS viewed it. All well and good to get onto accreditation but it needs to be run properly. NHVR are proving their worth in these areas, hopefully they will in others too.

They'll never please everyone though, the industry is to broad to have everything under one umbrella

So I'm not expecting to wake up tomorrow with it all perfect....................

ps, I like your signature :)

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Cunning Stunt.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136156 by atkipete
The NHVR fellas are keen and raring to go but they will have to get approval from the road managers ie Vicroads RMS and the relevant local councils to issue an oversize permit. Hopefully those people will move a little faster if the request is coming from higher up the chain.
One of your colleagues was there Rex and he pointed out bridge assessments take between 2 hours and whenever depending on the state that is doing them.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136157 by Snaws2
I have been dealing with the NHVR for the last couple of months and have had a great response.

Everything so far has been good with people that know what industry needs and are understanding of the issues

Ross

1952 Austin Loadstar&&&&Outside of a dog

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds