Skip to main content

early 90's Iveco V8 info

More
9 years 11 months ago #141485 by Davo81
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWhat can you guys tell about the early 90's Iveco V8 twin turbo diesel? I'm pretty sure Iveco was owned by International at that stage, could it be an updated 903?

here's the unit I'm particularly curious about;

any info would be appreciated..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #141486 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: early 90's Iveco V8 info
Other way around, International was owned by Iveco.

That cab has shades of Magirus heritage about it, would the V-8 be an air cooled Deutz?

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 11 months ago #141487 by Davo81
Replied by Davo81 on topic Re: early 90's Iveco V8 info
Not sure?

More
9 years 11 months ago #141488 by lower yp sth aust
If im on the ball i think you will looking at a FIAT . Iveco is owned by FIAT which owns New Holland and Case and others aswell,

More
9 years 11 months ago #141489 by Davo81
Yeah, Iveco originally was the truck division of Fiat.

According to German wiki, it's an engine that was developed by Fiat/Iveco in the early 80's...

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco_TurboStar

I don't suppose anyone knows what they're like reliability wise, do they?

More
9 years 11 months ago #141490 by dieseldog
Iveco stands for Industrial VEhicles COmpany. It was formed by several manufacturers including Magirus-Deutz. I think its actually controlled by CNH, which is in turn owned by Fiat. Fiat has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies including GM, Ford and Chrysler to name a few.

I haven't had a lot to do with Iveco's, but I haven't heard anything good about them. I think the Acco's even went a bit up the creek when they stuck the Iveco badge on the front...

More
9 years 11 months ago #141491 by Davo81
So it could be unfounded reputation?

I've heard mechanically they're pretty good, but electrics and bodies aren't great...

More
9 years 11 months ago #141492 by To a T
Replied by To a T on topic Re: early 90's Iveco V8 info
We had one in 1991. The first of the Iveco 6 cylinder 350 hp. They were a rebadged FIAT. They should of stayed in Italy. The problems started at front bumper and went to the tail lights. Apart from the water leaks,fuel leaks,air leaks,electrical problems and in built rust they weren't a bad truck.The only plus side that I found was they had a lot of room in the cab. This truck went back to International at Lidcombe,Wollongong and Taree 27 times in 12 months and still had the same problems. The only bloke that fixed it was a mechanic we found who did his apprenticeship at FIAT in Italy. He got it going.The best day I had whilst owning this piece of s..t was when a driver wrote it off. This was the beginning of the end International Trucks in Oz. I stepped out of a T Line into this and regretted it from the first day. Apparently the V8's weren't a bad truck when loaded heavy according to several K&S Drivers I spoke to then. They had a heap of them on Double work. I still have nightmares of these mongrel things.
David

More
9 years 11 months ago #141493 by Davo81
Tell us what you REALLY think?! haha

Yeah, I think they're best avoided...

More
9 years 11 months ago #141494 by mammoth
Fiat had a 17 litre V8, natually aspirated, fixed cab, but later a tilt cab and the rust in the cab was what took them off the road. Aboods rebuilt one with twin turbo but it sat around for want of a cab and it must of gone somewhere shortly before Brians death.(could this possibly be the one?)At the time of badge changing the cab stayed the same for a while.
I know of two up this way, with one on low loader work and the other sat in a yard for yonks.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds