Skip to main content

Unleaded Fuel

• Topic Author
14 years 8 months ago #13215 by
Unleaded Fuel was created by
Whats everybody think is the life time of unleaded fuel I have some in a small ute that could be 2 - 3 years old and will it mix ok fresh stuff. Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13216 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
I`m keen to hear the answer to this,the little Bedford I was mucking about with yeterday,the petrol in that is 4 or 5 years old.After a bit of mucking about I got a good spark,and the best I could get it to do after that was almost run after a lot of winding over.Next time I go up to have a go,I was going to drain the tank and try the fuel.

• Topic Author
14 years 8 months ago #13217 by
Replied by on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
Hi BC I had same problem and after cleaning the plugs it ran a lot better but I think fresh juice and it will go a lot better. Dave

More
14 years 8 months ago #13218 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
diesel can last for years petrol seems to last as long as milk

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #13219 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
Rang the BP advice line with a query about oils and my stationary motors a while back (Mrs P had won 20 litres oft their hi tech diesel oil ) and I asked them about it and the said petrol has a shelf life of 3-4 weeks althoguh you may get a couple of months in an air tight container (which most of our fuel tanks are not)

As a result I have changed my habit of filling when I get back from a trip to filling as I leave. That way plenty of new stuff gets mixed in with the old so it burns properly. If you were really woried you could drain the tank and only load fresh stuff but I can't be bothered with the hassle.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by bparo.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13220 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
I have to agree with bparo about the shelf life of todays petrol. I recently rebuilt a couple of 1920's Amilcar engines and when starting them they both ran like pigs. After checking and changing everything numerous times, I opted to change the fuel for fresh stuff and bingo, both ran like clocks. The petrol in them was about 2-3 months old. They just don't make things like they used to.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13221 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
Dave, I did a stihl chainsaw course a few years ago and the guru reckoned that once you mixed it with oil it was only good for 2 weeks. 1 to 2 months would pull up unleaded before it is rs. Dump her out mate and use it for cleaning beddy parts.

big cam, fuel sitting for that long in a carby will cause you dramas. drain the bowl and take a can of clean r carb with you. once you get fresh fuel into it and get it running hold her at 2000rpm and spray it down its throat while its running, it will remove all the carbon and gum. the accelerator pump plunger may be dry too from sitting around and may cause it to starve when revving. note carby clean great for getting grease off customers upholstery !

• Topic Author
14 years 8 months ago #13222 by
Replied by on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
Thanks every one I thought that be the case so after I fill up on Saturday and the run on Sunday it should run well fingers crossed all I might make the rumour flie in the mag ;D ;D. DAVE

More
14 years 8 months ago #13223 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
Thanks Paul,I`ll get a can of that to go with the areostart.the accelerator pump is fine.Someone has put a Stromy on it,and it looks like a fountain when you pump it.I got it to the piont of only just running,while pumping the accelerator.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13224 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Unleaded Fuel
a bit off topic maybe dried gaskets are giving you vacuum leaks

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds