Skip to main content

Modern buses

More
7 years 9 months ago #171528 by Morris
This comment goes back a few posts, as I do not look at the bus thread very often.
Back in the 1980's or thereabouts (and maybe still) Victoria had a height limit for Double-Decker busses that ruled out many of them that were legal in other states from being registered in VIC. There were a few sightseeing tour operators that cut the roof off ex-Sydney Double Deckers and either ran them "topless" or fitted a canvas awning-type "roof."

A few un-modified interstate registered Double Deckers did travel to Melbourne on their other-state registrations, probably on fairly short trips.

I do remember during the height of the Hare Krishna chanting period, seeing a New South Wales registered Half-cab Leyland Double Decker being driven down Lonsdale Street and across Elizabeth Street (the main street of the City) in Melbourne. What I found remarkable about it was not the fact that it was plastered all over with Hare Krishna signwriting but the fact that it was being driven, quite competently, by a very slight girl. She looked to be about 17 years old. She was, no doubt, happy that it was fitted with the pnuemo-cyclic transmission.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #171545 by Thunder Down Under

Dave_64 wrote: snip just wondering does any manufacturer still utilise a mid mounted underfloor horizontal?
Cheers, Dave_64

Perhaps Ashok Leyland (India) might still do, Dave. All European manufacturers have to now comply with 'accessibility legislation'. Hence the rear mounted engine, though that is getting smaller by the year, due to hybrid technology. It probably won't be long before they will all be electric. Won't be able to hear the bloody things coming and could get run over :silly:
TDU
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #171722 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Newcastle NSW
130724W Newcastle, MO1609 on route 104. (Jeff Bounds)
From Australian Bus Fleet Lists:
MO1609: Volvo B12BLE Euro 3 / CC CB60, STA 439, built June 05, seatingg B44DW.

Roderick.

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #172141 by Roderick Smith
It seems that the last two digits are 25, which hints at m/oXX25, and not XXXXST.
130814W King St at Missenden St, Newtown (Sydney, NSW): Unidentified bus (possibly m/oXX25), Marlborough Hotel. (Jeff Bounds).

Roderick.

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #172207 by Roderick Smith
Canterbury Rd, Canterbury (Melbourne, Vic.): Ventura 810, working a train-replacement service. Sat.27.7.13. (Jeff Bounds). The 1969 grade-separation bridge and the former Malone's Hotel are in the distance.
From Australian Bus Fleet Lists: 810, 2620AO, Scania L113CRL, Volgren CR221L, built Dec.1997, seating B40DW.

Roderick

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172542 by Roderick Smith
Somebody asked if Firefly had imported some German buses. I can't find the request, but here are the answers, supplied from several posters to Australian Transport Discussion Board.
Photo www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php...918&p=986643#p986643
The summarised responses.
Around 1985, German-made Kassbohrer Setras were imported into Australia. Austral in Brisbane was going to build them here under licence. Somehow that didn't happen. As the exchange rate got worse, those coaches were too expensive to buy. Deluxe Coachlines asked Denning in Brisbane if they would build a double deck and offered to order 20 themselves. Both the Kassbohrer Setra's and the Denning Landseer Double Deck coaches were featured in the Truck & Bus magazine.
The following companies ordered them and the first ones to receive them:
1) Deluxe Coachlines,
2) Ansett Pioneer.
3) Kirklands.
There were other coaches imported from Europe but not double-deck ones. Bova Futura's from Netherlands for Across Australia Coachlines and Neoplan Cityliners from Germany for VIP Coaches.
* The other side of road Setra displayed still exists, and was in WA.
* I thought Austral assembled a few from ckd kits?
* Ansett Pioneer had two, Kirklands three and Landmark Tours one. Deluxe took the other 16, including the demonstrator shown in the photo.
Half of them are known to have been converted to motorhomes, while another three are/were sitting at Port Stephens Coaches unregistered. The whereabouts of the others are uncertain.
* The coach in the picture appears to be LHD; was this converted over after the show? Were the others imported as RHD or LHD?
* Either 4 or 6 units ended up at Fantastic Aussie Tours in Katoomba. The Fantastic Aussie Tours disposals listing in Fleetlists records these vehicles. All have long-gone from there. The demonstrator pictured in this post was one of those, being registered TV 4542 while at FAT; another was an ex Kirklands unit that was registered ZFZ 999. Fleetlists shows FAT Fleet numbers 181 and 182 and refers also to fleet 179 and 180 with no vehicle details, while further down the disposals also refers to AUS 08 and AUS 18.
* (179), (180) and (182) at Fantastic were the same fleet numbers at Kirklands. 181 was ex Deluxe (158), originally the demonstrator. AUS 08 and AUS 18 were ex Deluxe (103) and (104) respectively.
* The one in the photo is RHD but the front passenger door is on the left. This vehicle was shown in Truck & Bus magazine. I think in Europe and UK there are 2 front doors, one for the driver and one for the passengers. I guess its a safety feature in the event of an accident.
* I remember about six Setras sitting on the grass at Austral all painted in Deluxe colours awaiting delivery which never happened.
* Was the story with those? That's a lot of coaches that was sitting there.
* There were a few Denning DDs sitting around after Deluxe folded.
* Roderick Smith. As a snow skier, I always associate Kassbohrer with mogul munchers (grooming machines).
With Deluxe now mentioned, I went to ABFL: that company had 100-112, 114 & 115.
I rode one home leaving Esperance in single-deck 176 Sun.8.10.8, and changing in Norseman to TC726 (which had come via Kalgoorlie), and had 103 as a second division. This was during school holidays and an airline strike.

Roderick.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: amending the details.

More
7 years 8 months ago #172543 by Dave_64
Roderick,
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, you have put a lot of research into that post!
Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #172547 by Dave_64
Actually, meant to ask about "pnuemo-cyclic" transmissions fitted to a lot of Leyland (also AEC??) coaches/buses including D/D's. Had been around for many years, never seemed to grab the transport sector as it did the buses.
Although saying that, someone told me that Leyland fitted a 6X4 bogie drive,not sure of model, up for the Department of Supply as a test unit. Bloke who told me said he thought it was a 680 or 690 with a 4 speed pneumo with a Hi Lo splitter on the back I had an idea they had some tie-up with the Wilson transmission mob, but could be wrong.
What were the biggest drawbacks? Weight? Weren't reliable enough?Simply that better transmissions evolved? Or did it all just fall in a big heap when British Leyland bit the dust??
Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #172816 by BigAl
Replied by BigAl on topic Modern buses
Id say the biggest draw back with the pnuemo is the lag time between gear changes, generally you'll have a good three plus seconds between shifting out of gear and removing engine torque/rev then selecting the next gear and applying throttle again, maybe not so much a huge issue in city bus applications but in truck/trailer world would be

More
7 years 8 months ago #172818 by mercskeepmeinajob
Replied by mercskeepmeinajob on topic Modern buses
Under the British Leyland umbrella Self Changing Gears (SCG) was the supplier of the Pneumo and Hydra Cyclic range of gearboxes either in 4,5 also with 10 speeds. SCG was Wilson before the Leyland takeover. On the 4 speed there was a big ratio difference between gears and depending on the driver, you can either flat change or leave a lag to let the revs die in neutral before selecting the next gear so it can be made to be a neckbreaker or a comfortable ride
Seen a couple of Scammells an 8x4 and 6x6 had the SCG fitted and seemed to be ok as they were still in there at the end of the vehicles working days.

On the Kassborer front, Cut and Paste is Rodericks friend, as all the ATDB discussion thread has been transported here.

Time to create page: 0.696 seconds