Skip to main content

Modern buses

More
7 years 10 months ago #170412 by Roderick Smith
Hobart Rd, South Launceston: Tassielink Volvo B10M. Wed.5.6.13. (Jeff Bounds)
According to Australian Bus Fleet lists, Tassielink is a Hobart operator, and has four Volvo/Volgrens (and an older one withdrawn), all ex Invicta (Croydon, Melbourne, Vic.).
Why was this one in South Launceston?

Roderick
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #170628 by Roderick Smith
I can't find the leading bus on ABFL.
Queen St at Ann St, Petrie Bight (Brisbane, Qld): Volvo B10M R515, a Metroliner, a third bus. Thurs.23.5.13. (Jeff Bounds).

Roderick

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #170720 by Roderick Smith
130619W Norton St, Leichhardt (Sydney, NSW): Scania bus (possibly 215ST). (Jeff Bounds)

Roderick

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #171155 by Roderick Smith
Lee St, Sydney (NSW): Near-new double-deck bus 6088 on an express run to an outer suburb (route 140, Castle Hill). Wed.14.8.13. (Jeff Bounds) From ABFL: CDC Group NSW, Hillsbus; m/o6088; Cummins ISL / Bustech CDi, built Apr.13; seating H57/35DW.

Roderick

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #171324 by Roderick Smith
Canterbury Rd, Canterbury (Sydney, NSW): A bus (1945?)ST taking the former tramway curve from Canterbury Rd into Broughton St, parallel with the station.
From ABFL: 1945 ST (fleet 1945), STA Sydney Buses, Leichhardt Depot, Mercedes-Benz O500LE cng / CC CB60 Evo II, Jan.09; seating B44DW.
I can't see the Mercedes logo. Is that depot consistent with running this route?

Roderick
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago #171351 by Dave_64
Flash looking jigger, that D/Decker. They have many of them?

More
7 years 9 months ago #171375 by KMR XT5
Hi Roderick

I was the workshop manager at Tassielink Transit for just over 5 years, during that time we had 5 of the old Volvo B10M's running around in the north and south of the state, from memory they were all around mid 80's build, the one pictured would have been running between Launceston and Cressy.
They gave sterling service and very rarely broke down, however we did have one based in Queenstown that in typical Volvo fashion blew so much smoke upon cold start up it would nearly fill the main street, the Tasmanian Premier at the time (can't remember which one, there was a period i think when they took it in turns each week) was in Queenstown to promise the world and most likely deliver nothing, unfortunately he also had a few motorcycle police with him who just happened to park behind the old Volvo, of course the driver took great delight in starting the old girl while they were there. After about 10 minutes when the smoke had settled and 2 very upset coppers could see again the bus was promptly defected and put off the road, hence a quick trip from Hobart to Queeny, pull the timing up a couple of degrees, find a new spot to park the bus of a night instead of in the main street and all good to go again.
Sadly that particular bus was written off in a rollover sometime later, another one decided to purge its internal fluids all over the road in one of Hobarts better suburbs one afternoon and I believe the other 3 are still making money

Cheers Jason
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
7 years 9 months ago #171470 by Roderick Smith
Jason's insight into the Tas. B10M history was very interesting to read. Here is some more Tasmania.
Launceston (Tas.): Metro's bus depot, a former tram depot, with several Scania/Ansair buses inside. Wed.5.6.13. (Jeff Bounds)

Roderick

Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #171521 by Roderick Smith
130721Su Thomas St, Dandenong (Melbourne, Vic.): East-West Bus Volvo/Volgren 8003 (7715AO) on route 901. (Jeff Bounds) From ABFL:
East-West Bus Co., Reservoir, fleet 8003, registration 7715AO, Volvo B7RLE / Volgren CR228L, built Feb.10, seating B42DW, Smartbus livery.

Roderick
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: Fix a major mistake

More
7 years 9 months ago #171525 by Dave_64
Doing a bit of research into early truck/bus engines and noted that the concept of horizontal/underfloor diesels was almost as old as the diesel principle itself. Can well remember my late uncle taking charge of a spanking new Leyland "Royal Tiger" with underfloor, semi-auto "power shift" transmission, maybe a Wilson pnuemo-cyclic??
I didn't have a great deal to do with buses, although do remember the Leyland "Atlantean" double deckers replacing the old D/D AEC/Albion?Leylands in NSW, which must have given sterling service for so many years. Still see the odd one parked up in someone or others yard, slowly rotting away. Of interest (to me anyway) was the fact that they had reverted to the vertically, although transverse mounted, engine. just wondering does any manufacturer still utilise a mid mounted underfloor horizontal?
Cheers, Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds