Buying first truck

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 10 months ago #143667 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Buying first truck
Dunno wot could B worse

Buying a bra for the wife

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtvZum2mGC8NsAMYf_vTKwejrsvetX_tb0V1lgik3Vgktu7Twc

OR

pick n out a good pre luvd truck

LOL

[img

Clikity ................................ ClikClikClik

Yes eye am partial to mack
the R model seems to B bomb proof

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143668 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Buying first truck
A Ud , mid 90's ACCO , Late 90's louisville with a c series cummins or a s line will do the job nicely. Smaller engines will use less fuel and can handle idling a lot better. Stay away from cab over Kenworths as they are too low to the ground and don't handle off road work.
There is a ud at Zebra wreckers in Rocky for $16500 and there was an s-line tipper on trucksales at clairveiw for under $20000

More
9 years 10 months ago #143669 by kind_cir
Replied by kind_cir on topic Re: Buying first truck

A Ud , mid 90's ACCO , Late 90's louisville with a c series cummins or a s line will do the job nicely. Smaller engines will use less fuel and can handle idling a lot better. Stay away from cab over Kenworths as they are too low to the ground and don't handle off road work.
There is a ud at Zebra wreckers in Rocky for $16500 and there was an s-line tipper on trucksales at clairveiw for under $20000

Thanks paul404,

the 2 Isuzu's I drive at the moment have 230hp and 275hp. I find the 230hp not quite up to the task and the 275hp just enough. What engines and hp would you find in the above. I don't need to tow so the max I'll be at is 22500kg

A win without a challenge

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143670 by
Replied by on topic Re: Buying first truck
...A decent 1993-'95 3 series ''P'' cab Scania 6X4 can be had at the auctions these days for a very cheap outlay with horses up to 360 HP.....

...parts are cheap and all the European blokes swear by them...and in my own experience painting these things, which can be 25 years and older, they hold together pretty well...mechanically and body...

More
9 years 10 months ago #143671 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Buying first truck
Hi, the c series cummins can range from 240hp to 300hp.
Ud's should be up around the 300hp or better.
Old S-lines can range from 240hp to 400hp usually cummins powered. Just make sure the coolant has been kept up to them and water isn't leaking under the heads.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143672 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Buying first truck
kind_cir, Mate welcome to the forum.

I think you've got some good advice here from various Members.

If I was you, & had My money organized, I Be heading off to Richies Auction in Brisbane on the 24th June. Drag that Nieces Bf along & check a few Out.
Given the Current state of the Economy at the Moment.
I reckon a CASH buyer such as yourself, will get a lot of Truck for your Buck.

www.rbauction.com/search?id=ci&s=Y2k3fE4...NDU0OCs0Mjk0NDc2Nzg1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by hayseed.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143673 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Buying first truck
Kindcir, as Hayseed said Ritchie Bros auctions might be the way to go, or at least to have a bopeep at, they are a "NO Reserve" auction from memory. Best of luck in your search. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
9 years 10 months ago #143674 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Re: Buying first truck
If you list what and why you're looking at buying a truck it makes interesting reading.

You want to earn enough t cover your hobbies and you currently do that 2 days per week.

After spending your $30,000 you have to register, fuel, maintain the truck which will cost you a minimum of $400.00 per week. At (say $90.00) an hour you need to work 1 day a week to pay for the truck's running plus if you plan on depreciating the truck over 5 years you need to earn another $120.00 per week.

You're up to $520.00 per week or $27,000pa before you get a cent out of it plus you need to cover breakdowns and the inevitable shredded tyres.

If you dislike the current boss so much, find a new one, and still work your 2 days a week, take home your pay, not worry about the costs of it all and enjoy your hobbies.

After 20 years of running my own business I've learnt all those hidden and overlooked costs eat away at the attractive "top line" to give you a thin "bottom line".

I'm currently "mentoring" a young fellow into the trucking industry in his own show after 20 years driving for others and when you sit down and really crunch numbers you need to earn a lot to make a little.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143675 by kind_cir
Replied by kind_cir on topic Re: Buying first truck
Putting it all on the back-burner now and going to give it another 12 months before I plunge. I will be in a better position by then to really make a go of it.

Thanks all for your help, truck and business related.

A win without a challenge

More
9 years 10 months ago #143676 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Re: Buying first truck
I have watched this post with a great deal of interest wondering where it would finish. firstly may I say thank you to every one who joined in and gave their opinion because every bit of advice was well meaning and exactly as it is.
The time every one has given and the advise on this post is why this forum is the benchmark that it has become.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds