Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 17 Aug 2014 18:23 #147352

• dieseldog
  • Thank you received: 61
With all seriousness, I have heard that tipping a gallon of alpine green paint over the engine does wonders to stop oil leaks in everything but the shaft seals...

In the short term, could you just retension the head bolts and see if the leak takes up. I've done it on other engines and had good results.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 17 Aug 2014 19:03 #147353

• Blackduck59
  • Thank you received: 302
Unlikely to have both heads leaking at the same time, my guess would be there is a leak around the blower,fuel pump or crankcase vents in the valley and it is seeping down both sides.

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 17 Aug 2014 19:46 #147354

• theroadbossman
  • theroadbossman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, hold all further posts until I get the supercheap auto degreaser out again, plus the paint scraper and the straight blade screwdriver so I can get all the muck out of the valley and clean that up pristine, then get her running with me torch-in-the-cap and find where the f&$k it is leaking - I need to be 101% sure that it is not cummin from the valley. Stay tuned kids... :)
Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 17 Aug 2014 21:13 #147355

• Blackduck59
  • Thank you received: 302
If this has a pressed in breather tube in the rear of the valley, have a good look at it before getting serious on the cleaning.
Have seen this setup on 8V92's that had rusted through.
Any crud going in there ends up in the oil.

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 19 Aug 2014 10:14 #147356

• theroadbossman
Thanks for the info, when I get out of here (Agquip at Gunnedah) that is the next job for this coming weekend. :)

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 19 Aug 2014 22:07 #147357

• overlander
  • Thank you received: 160
greetings from adelaide
to ensure you target the source o the oil leak, i'd suggest a thorough steam clean of the '92 targetting the blower to block area- if the engine has'nt been cared for dirt and stuff can build up between the cylinder heads and blower and under the governor and under the rear of the blower. next step would be to have the unit flogged on a chassis dyno- you'll soon find the leak/s. if it's a blower to block gasket, you'll know. if it's the cylinder head quad rings, you'll know. if you put it on a chassis dyno, ensure your diff locks work. also, while you're at it, have your crankcase pressure checked and you'll also find out what horses it's putting out. if you find the leak and prceed with rectifying your concerns, also check the clevis pins on the injector rockers- shove a stubby flat blade screwdriver in the gap above the lock nut and lift- the bushes flog out. if you are in adelaide get you parts from havelberg,manthorpe street, dry creek- better prices and you can quiz him about the 12v71t that he helped build for the Detroit Devil. good luck

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 20 Oct 2014 20:03 #147358

• theroadbossman
Hi all, an update after the weekend's work.
Run the motor for 30 minutes and get a bit of heat into it. Grab beer 1.
Copious amounts of de-greaser and a bit of scratching about with the missus' plastic cake makin' tool (she don't use it no more, not since Coles started makin cakes cheap like).
Lots of high pressure water, and repeat the whole process again. Beers 2 and 3.
Grab beer number 4.

Now climb all over the thing looking at stuff and fiddlin with stuff.
There is a bloody big hose clamp that looks to be on a boot at the back of the blower, anywayz the clamp was real loose - anyone ever heard of this happening??

Found a few hoses (air) perished, few exhaust manifold bolts loose, and finished beer number 6.
Start him up again and run for another 2 beers.
Dunno if it was my imagination or just too many beers but not a drop of oil to be found - as yet anyway.
Checked again today and still dry.
Could that big clamp have been the problem?? :-?

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 20 Oct 2014 20:50 #147359

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 233
Sounds like a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend a day!

Hopefully you got it, and you fixed some other impending problems.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Last edit: by asw120.

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 21 Oct 2014 07:26 #147360

• geoffb
  • Thank you received: 50
So she was an 8 stubbie job :D :D

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 21 Oct 2014 14:05 #147361

• dieseldog
  • Thank you received: 61
Roadbossman, I'm guessing your talking about the boot that goes between the timing/accessory drive case and the blower and covers the blower driveshaft? I have seen cases where the rubber goes hard and doesn't offer any resistance to the clamp and then the clamp backs off.

The best solution is to replace the boot, but you might get away with installing a new clamp or doing the old one up really tight.

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558