That is not encouraging DD by the looks of where that clamp is and where the boot might be (bear in mind I have a floor about 14 inches above the blower so space is really limited) that would be a full carton job to get to it! Do you have to take the blower off to change the boot? OMG what a job!
On all my engines over my 55 years, I have managed to seal all oil leaks properly and I do hope this one will not be the exception. Mind you, I have already found and fixed more than a handful of oil leaks so far - from the most stupid places that oil could leak like the oil pressure buzzer switch, and so on
Yes Indianman, I did check the sump and there is oil in there - it is trying to get out through the sump plug ;D
Tell me again why we love these things :
Quite an easy job really. In a nutshell, all that is required to remove the top cover on the accessory drive, and use a slide hammer to pull the shaft out, replace the boot and reassemble. The only thing to watch is that you don't drop anything into the case.
I need to run it for a bit more or better still drive it, and then see if the leak comes back - if it does I'll need to get one of the grandkids that has a head and hands the size of a doll to get in tghere and find the leak, then I can get a mirror and see it meeself.
If it is the boot, I might be sending a PM to get some more detailed destructions before I have a got at it
Thanks again DD
Bugger, bugger, poo, bum. It sure looks like the blower boot is the culprit.
Option one of pulling the blower off and replacing the boot seems extreme, so I might try option two of cutting a new boot and sliding that in place.
Option 3 is looking more attractive and that is finding someone who also sleeps and eats and breathes Detroit and ask them to do it properly. :-/
Brett, years ago at Albury we had a massive oil leak from the boot over the blower drive on a Tourmaster & had it repaired in Wodonga overnight. The gent tried to pull the driveshaft but could'nt get it out & ended up pulling the blower etc. He was'nt happy. When we talked to the company who had recently rebuilt the engine they stated that they would have split the new boot lengthwise, fitted it over the shaft, glued it along the cut edge with super glue & refitted the clamps. The reason the boot failed in the first place was that the clamps had been too tight & cut the boot, along the bottom edge of course. Cheers Tim