Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 29 Dec 2014 20:15 #147372

• theroadbossman
  • theroadbossman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Tim,
Between your experience and DD's investigation I reckon that I will be buying a boot and doing just that. I also think that as my boot is old and brittle, tightening the clamp up has simply split the boot more nd the leak is worse than ever now.
Unfortunately Detroit is closed until next week, so it looks like I'll have to wait until then before get a boot and try it..
I am stil not 100% sure that is where the leak is coming from but advice from many suggest it is the case, and to slip a new boot in is no real huge deal, exhaust off and then pry yourself in there to do it.
Thanks guys and I will report back when I get the new boot in there.
Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 29 Dec 2014 20:38 #147373

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
  • Thank you received: 1517
TRBMan
Gudday M8

Why wait till nex week to B told they will get the part in 4 U after January

Carefully remove ol boot slip round to the 'U Bute' Silicon rubber shop ( EnZed , Pirtec, Purple Pig, (Whoopz Now called Powell Industrial)
Make sure U measure the diameter where it fitz
Silicon, Purasil hose will B more flexible in install n
make sure U got sum glue 2 join it up

Jist me 2 c worth GST included

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 29 Dec 2014 20:53 #147374

• theroadbossman
Ahh, Swishy to the front of the class again.
I have just the shop nearby, it is a hydraulic shop where the owner is older than me, and he has all sorts of profiles and shapes.
Onya Swish, keep Ya posted :)
Bretto

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 30 Dec 2014 18:36 #147375

• theroadbossman
Hi all, an interesting day I might tell you...
Silicon hose is apparently excellent for heat and pressure but fails quickly when exposed to engine oil, rubber is the best when oil is involved.
At the local hose shop, and he is very good I might add, an explanation of what the seal does and what it is exposed to quickly resulted in getting the original seal and show him before fitting it.
The boys at Detroit are doing what they can to assist as there is no seals in Austalia.
Anyway, silicon hose is a no go but there may be help yet.

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 30 Dec 2014 19:00 #147376

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
  • Thank you received: 1517
TRBMan
Gudday M8

RE : fails quickly when exposed to engine oil

Me thort oil resistant purosil hose twaz the go

But
Wadda eye Kno

cya
OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 30 Dec 2014 19:35 #147377

• theroadbossman
Swishy, I did ask him about that specific Purosil hose, he told me that was what mum washed our overalls in years ago - Persil he was talking about ;D
When we both stopped giggling, we looked at the Purosil site. None of their products are designed to work continuously in oil.
IF we knew the diameter inside of the factory seal rubber, then we could get a piece of fuel oil transfer hose. But at this moment we are waiting on the OEM part to show up.

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 10 Jan 2015 20:32 #147378

• theroadbossman
Hi all,
The information that Dieseldog provided was pretty darn right.
Unfortunately the profile of the boot is such that you can't just go to a hose shop and get a piece of hose to do the job, but it was a nice thought.
If anyone ever has to do this job, I can tell you from personal experience it is no big deal but do allow plenty of time to do it.
My old boot was as hard as a piece of Bakelite, as you would expect from a boot that has been on there for about 15 years. And when I loosened the clamp and started to take the old boot out piece by piece I am sure the boot was broken across the bottom - as would happen if you tighten a clamp on a brittle boot.
I now have a complete blower installation kit, courtesy of our friends at Detroit, plus another blower boot as I bought two from the USA. If anyone needs a boot or kit, pm me.
After the initial installation, completed with supa glue and silastic, it appears to be successful with the cut placed at the top.
The idea of the clamp is to pull the wedge shape of the boot firmly between the blower and the drive housing. Fair to assume that if the clamp is loose the boot has perished and needs replacing. From start to finish including removing the exhaust (remember this is in a rear mount coach under what was the rear seats) it took 5 hours including clean up and checking and running.
The last chapter will be in a week when it gets a run and then I will know for sure if it is fixed.
Bretto 8-)

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 11 Jan 2015 13:06 #147379

• dieseldog
  • Thank you received: 61
Its good to hear you've had some success at last.....

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 08 Feb 2015 15:07 #147380

• theroadbossman
Hi all,
Just returned from a 300km maiden voyage and pleased to report the oil leak fix from the blower boot seal was a resounding success. Not a drop ;)
Now, just to make evryone comfortable again (Detroits always leak -apparently) I can start on some of the many other minor leaks.
My sincere thanks to all for your advice and support
Cheers all
Brett

Re: 6V92 oil leaks from rear of the head? 31 Jul 2015 19:30 #147381

• overlander
  • Thank you received: 174
Greetings from Adelaide.
just some tyre kicking talk here- today I chassis dyno'd a silver 6-92 T Denning with an Eaton 7 speed and it cranked 240hp@1900 rpm at the wheels- she was singing deluxe and NO oil leaks. Minta.
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558