Skip to main content

Are some modernish US trucks a bit backwards?

More
9 years 7 months ago #148023 by .RC.
I just successfully completed my MC assessment.. I did it in a freightliner which was actually the first US truck I have driven as I have always driven Euro/Japanese trucks.. 99.9% of my driving has always been body trucks..

What surprised me was the truck while modern seemed to me to be a bit primitive and I was wondering if this is common with US trucks...

For example, besides the indicator stick being on the wrong side, it would not click itself off... Plus the clutch had no air assist at all, and was pretty hard to push down.. The truck was nice to drive otherwise, although I was a bit nervous as I had not driven a B-double before and while I was hoping I would not have to drive through traffic, but oh no it was straight in the deep end and drive all around town, lots of gear changes, traffic lights, merging, cornering and roundabouts and I swear my left leg is now bigger :D

Not wanting to start an argument, but as I say, is this more common with US trucks, less creature comforts so to speak...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 7 months ago #148024 by Swishy
Arse C

U're a wimp

repeat after me

W I M P
wimp

LOL

may B u would like a volvo gurlz truck

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 7 months ago #148025 by kenny-mopar
its a new system the American trucks have ... to make sure you dont fall asleep ;) but "seriously" i think its like the old daze when a truckie wanted to buy a American truck he would simply ask how much HP ... If he wasnt wearing stubbies thongs and a wife beater(tank top) & he was going to look at a Euro truck he would simply ask how powerful is the air con & is crimson plush pile carpet available :-X

More
9 years 7 months ago #148026 by .RC.

Arse C

U're a wimp

repeat after me

W I M P
wimp

I used to drive a bedford swish.... real men drive bedfords.. U do no wot Kenworths got named after? It twas that barbie doll Ken, his last name was Worth.. So they made kenworths for the blokes that played with dolls.. ;D ;D :D

More
9 years 7 months ago #148027 by geoffb
I think the Usa is just to be basic truck where as the Eruo stuff has the luxury for the softies
(Rc you will be off the Swishy crissy list)

More
9 years 7 months ago #148028 by .RC.
I have been off swishy's xmas list since I told him I was going to go into competition against him cartin heavy stuff with my Toyota DA115 ;D

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 7 months ago #148029 by Swishy
A recent pic of Arse C

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 7 months ago #148030 by Southbound
G'day RC, the indicator control is correct like that, supposed to be manual so that it doesn't turn off before you want it to.
Did the clutch brake work properly? The clutch may have been out of adjustment?
FWIW I drove a Frightliner for a year and that gearlever hanging out of the dash (Argosy) was junk
Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148031 by rex
Given we use VOLVO'S and MERCEDES all with "I" shift (no bloody clutch pedal) and hub reduction drivelines. When we need to hook 3 or 4 up to move 400 tonne and move without problems. Then yes we are softies but we don't break any thing because the trucks are programmed to only give enough power to do the job.
I love my old trucks and enjoy taking one out for a drive but after being in one of our 2660 Mercedes and my 980 DiamondT 980 there is no comparison.
Let's not loose our passion for the old girls that helped build Australia but also move on so we can continue to help build a better Australia with driver friendly trucks.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
9 years 7 months ago #148032 by Coupeute
Well said Rex. I would hate to be spreading chook sh#t in an open cab Blitz.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds