Skip to main content

ABS in the dirt/mud in trucks

More
9 years 7 months ago #148145 by wedgetail84

Legalities aside, it is as simple as someone with a laptop with the Volvo service program, linking up to the truck's computer and turning the ABS off. You will find that trying to disable it by removing a fuse or trying to bypass the system will result in the truck going into limp home mode or something like that. But if you could get it turned off then you won't have it for bitumen use and that would be bad....

Exactly. So it would be better if they could make it switchable.

Bringing in this legislation may be good for safety on the tarmac, but it's taking a step back for dirt roads. Surely there are enough public dirt roads (even now) in this country it's worth considering adding an on/off switch?

But that's still not my real point, I'm still trying to find someone that's driven an ABS truck on dirt roads or mud, and has actually had to use the brakes in anger...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 7 months ago #148146 by Swishy
Twould imagine
tamper n wiff any safty device
Speed limiters or ABS would B a hang n offence

When anti lok n brakes came out 1st on trucks
did hear of a joker pedlin along in hiz MT road train
going down a hill to a 'T' intersection on a corrugated Rd
an as he twaz slow ing down wiff slight application of brakes
the anti lok DooDadd sed OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF etc
n he saled across the intersection and took outa fence
lucky no other vehicles were around n only ended up in a paddock

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 7 months ago #148147 by hayseed
Wedgetail84,

Mate, My 2 cents worth..is...

you're making a mountain out of a molehill.......

Look at all the Stock/grain/hay B Doubles about.
ALL of whom travel on Dirt roads.
I've never heard of too many (if any) complaints about being unable to Stop..

Also; My prime mover has ABS & has spent its share of time on Dirt/unsealed roads. & I've always being able to safely Stop It when I needed to..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 7 months ago #148148 by bigcam
Jeffo, brake system is as per normal then it goes into an ABS unit between the relay valve and the boosters.
Standard S cam brakes though.

This sounds like conventional "S" cam drum brakes and with a 30/30 booster or such?
Is there a dump valve mounted on each booster?

More
9 years 7 months ago #148149 by wedgetail84

Wedgetail84,

Mate, My 2 cents worth..is...

you're making a mountain out of a molehill.......

Look at all the Stock/grain/hay B Doubles about.
ALL of whom travel on Dirt roads.
I've never heard of too many (if any) complaints about being unable to Stop..

Also; My prime mover has ABS & has spent its share of time on Dirt/unsealed roads. & I've always being able to safely Stop It when I needed to..

Well I guess I have no experience on the subject apart from 4wds, so was seeing if I could gauge some opinions of them. It does sound like they're a pretty different system and should be fine.

Even if from a complexities sake alone though I'll still be recommending a truck without them. Another reason for KW 8-)

More
9 years 7 months ago #148150 by Coupeute
My TGM 18-340 MAN 4x4 spreader has wheel speed sensors in the front hubs that has something to do with the ABS. When I engage the power divider for transfer case & front/rear diff locks, I have a switch on the dash that limits the ABS for off road driving. I have no idea on the complexities of the system.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
9 years 7 months ago #148151 by bigcam
Are you certain the KW doesn't have ABS too?

More
9 years 7 months ago #148152 by Zuffen
The ABS system on the new boat trailer will be programmed on Friday so I'll make sure I'm there when it's done and see if I can learn anything to add to the discussion.

I do know from experience that ABS can lengthen braking distances in the dirt/mud but I've always found it easy to drive to the conditions and then there isn't a problem.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148153 by wedgetail84

I do know from experience that ABS can lengthen braking distances in the dirt/mud but I've always found it easy to drive to the conditions and then there isn't a problem.

obviously driving to conditions is optimal and you should only need brakes in an emergency in theory. But adding complexities which lengthen the braking distance on some surfaces while not being able to turn it off for them doesn't make sense. Maybe you can turn it off with diff locks in the MAN but this doesn't seem to be the case with others. Just had a pretty competitive quote in from MAN though... Also, if you're driving on a good bit of gravel you don't really want diff locks on anyway.

Are you certain the KW doesn't have ABS too?

it's optional till 1/1/15

More
9 years 7 months ago #148154 by Zuffen
One problem with having the ability to turn ABS off is some people would leave it off at all times.

Stability programs and Traction Control can both be turned off but come back on so you don't see people driving cars like you see on Top Gear.

I like the idea you can't turn off ABS as I share the road with the sort of people who would turn it off.

Many years ago a client (who had raced at Le Mans) removed the ABS relay from his Ferrari 328 on the basis he could drive better than the ABS and he stuck into the wall at Eastern Creek. $100,000 to repair and this was in 1990! Even the best will get it wrong.

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds