Skip to main content

Market Share

More
9 years 3 months ago #151759 by Lang
Market Share was created by Lang
Here are some interesting figures.

AUSTRALIA TRUCK SALES (YEAR-TO-DATE FIGURES TO THE END OF AUGUST 2014)

OVERALL

MANUFACTURER YTD SALES YTD MARKET SHARE (%)
1. Isuzu 4573 23.4
2. Hino 2547 13.0
3. Fuso 2031 10.4
4. Kenworth 1372 7.0
5. Iveco 941 4.8

HEAVY-DUTY

1. Kenworth 1372 20.0
2. Volvo 832 12.1
3. Isuzu 707 10.3
4. Mack 648 9.5
5. Freightliner 510 7.4

MEDIUM-DUTY

1. Isuzu 1734 41.5
2. Hino 1113 26.6
3. Fuso 723 17.3
4. UD 343 8.2
5. Mercedes-Benz 99 2.4

[IMG

[IMG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #151760 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Market Share
I put up the above figures because I thought it was interesting but it created a couple of PM questions for further information. Looking further I found the Australian figures are produced by the Commonwealth Bureau of Statistics using a combination of factory sales reports and state registrations.

Where is Western Star?

Western Star is wholly owned by Daimler (Mercedes) along with Freightliner. In some places for particular models the only difference between a Freightliner and a Western Star is the badge. The Australian Western Star sales are grouped under Freightliner numbers.

This is why Daimler is the leading truck seller in USA.

For the European Trucks the biggest seller DAF is owned by PACCAR - Kenworh, Peterbuiilt and Leyland trucks.

Scania is owned 70% by VW and 18% by MAN BUT MAN is owned 75% by VW making VW one of the biggest heavy truck sellers in Europe. You are now starting to see big trucks in Europe with VW badges.

VOLVO Trucks owns Renault Trucks, Mack Trucks and UD/Nissan Trucks and 50% of the huge Indian Eicher Trucks making it the second largest truck manufacturer in the world. GM has a finger in the VOLVO pie but I am still trying to identify that. Found the Info. VOLVO had a joint venture with GM 1988-1997 as VOLVO-GM White Autocar. In 1997 VOLVO purchased all the GM shares and they are out of the picture. After 80 years of building heavy trucks GM have been out of the game of having their own branded product since 1988

IVECO (Industrial Vehicles Corporation) is a wholly owned conglomerate of the FIAT empire which started by combining the truck operations of FIAT, OM, Lancia, UNIC (France), Magirus Deutz (Germany). Next to be swallowed was FORD Europe Trucks, Pegase (Spain), Seddon Atkinson (UK), IRIS Bus (EX Renault) and a 50% shareholding in what will be a huge NAVECO in China.

Largest truck manufacturers in the world as of 2010,

over 16 tons GVW in 2010.
Pos. Make Units
1 Daimler AG (Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner Trucks, Sterling Trucks, Unimog, Western Star, Fuso, BharatBenz) 478,535
2 Volvo Group (Volvo, Mack, Renault, UD Nissan Diesel) 438,954
3 Dongfeng Motor 341,875
4 Volkswagen Group (Scania, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, MAN) 203,102
5 Tata Group (Tata Motors, Daewoo Commercial Vehicle) 159,237
6 Hyundai Kia Automotive Group (Hyundai) 157,781
7 Toyota Group (Hino Motors, Isuzu) 129,107
8 Fiat Group (Iveco, Magirus, Astra, Seddon Atkinson, Yuejin) 127,542
9 PACCAR (DAF Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Leyland Trucks) 126,960

Of course if light trucks are included these positions change dramatically with ISUZU the easy world leader and the other Asian manufacturers leaping to the front.

Lang
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Lang.

9 years 3 months ago #151761 by
Replied by on topic Re: Market Share
Thanks Lang

Interesting figures there...

Cheers
RS :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #151762 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Market Share

Where is Western Star?

Western Star is wholly owned by Daimler (Mercedes) along with Freightliner. In some places for particular models the only difference between a Freightliner and a Western Star is the badge. The Australian Western Star sales are grouped under Freightliner numbers

Lang, Any chance you could give an example of this "Badge Engineering"

Because for the life of me, I can't think of one...

Just asking..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #151763 by Lang
I saw this on one of the sites I was looking at to get the info. I think it refers to some USA models, whether that is the practice in Australia I don't know.

I will look.

Not what you asked but the Mercedes Sprinter van carries a Freightliner badge in USA.

While I am looking this is worth a read.

www.primemovermag.com.au/featured/articl...liner-the-road-ahead

Lang

More
9 years 3 months ago #151764 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Market Share
Excellent research Lang, on an interesting topic , adding to all of the great material on wheat sheds, wheat trucks and women. I was surprised to see a DAF somewhere over the last few days; IIRC suburban Melbourne, not country. The Brazil VWs which I have been posting are a subsidiary of MAN.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #151765 by Lang
This is even more interesting ABS (Don't think they were called that then) figures for Australian commercials 1950

[IMG

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #151766 by Lang
Hayseed, this is not what I read but getting there.

Western Star sold a lightly altered version of the White High Cabover as the Western Star Cabover in the 1980s and early 1990s. They also produced a licensed version of the Iveco VM 90 for the Canadian Forces during the 1990s, called the LSVW. Canadian vehicle web sites are full of criticism of the vehicle, not of its design or capability, but terrible quality control and overall build quality. The original IVECO built version is in service with 10 NATO countries and very popular with its owners.

[IMG

Western Star produces trucks for the United States Military, although they are rebadged as Freightliners.

This is built entirely at the Western Star factory but badged Freightliner.
[IMG

I will try to find the article which described the badge engineering but in the meantime I am finding reference to a huge percentage of cross-over mechanicals between the two brands. Much of the technology is from the parent company in Europe and recent recalls of Mercedes trucks also included Western Star and Freightliner.

They are still marketing Western Star as the "tough truck" and the Freightliner as the highway money maker.

Lang

More
9 years 3 months ago #151767 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: Market Share

Where is Western Star?

Western Star is wholly owned by Daimler (Mercedes) along with Freightliner. In some places for particular models the only difference between a Freightliner and a Western Star is the badge. The Australian Western Star sales are grouped under Freightliner numbers

Lang, Any chance you could give an example of this "Badge Engineering"

Because for the life of me, I can't think of one...

Just asking..

The only thing Western Star on this is the badge.

www.flickr.com/photos/46046969@N03/5804081004/

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 3 months ago #151768 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Market Share
Iz th@ a DAF cabd Western Star??

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH