Skip to main content

Detroit oil fill capacity?

More
9 years 3 months ago #152706 by theroadbossman
hi guys,
Just did an oil change on my 6v92t, according to the dip stick it was a bit low before I changed it and that is half the reason I changed it rather than top up. I installed a new filter and put in 20 litres in total. Stick shows about 1" overfull?
I guess I was expecting similar capacity to my old Cummins at 35 litres, but does about 19 litres sound right??
Cheers
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #152707 by JimmyDodge
Hi Brett, I recently did an oil change on my Dodge D5N with a 6V53 that has a remote cartridge filter on the chassis rail and that only left me about just under 2 litres out of a 20 litre drum of oil.
Have you started it yet?
So to me 19 litres of oil in a 6V92 does seem a little light on.
regards Harleigh.

More
9 years 3 months ago #152708 by Stevef
Hello Brett my 692t in my motorhome takes 20 l with filter that is with a set up for a coach. Sump does not appear overly large Steve

More
9 years 3 months ago #152709 by theroadbossman
Yeah, ok, well mine is in an Austral Coach so 20l seems about right; have not started it as yet, maybe it will go down a touch but not much I expect.
Given that it only holds 20l, maybe I might bring oil changes forward a little...
Thanks all.
Brett :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #152710 by dieseldog
It highly depends on what sump you have fitted as there many sizes and shapes of sumps for various applications but 20L with a filter sounds about right.

Its not like your onto the second drum, wondering where its all going, and then get the horrible sensation of oil between your toes..... :-[

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 3 months ago #152711 by Swishy
TRBMan
Gudday M8

Wot we do

Fill filters wiff new oil
Bypass filter fill wiff new oil
start motor wotch oil guage cum up
then undo the plug on top of Bypass filter n leave it hang n by a thread wait till all air has escaped n oil weeps out then secure the top plug to the Bypass filter rev er up let run a few minutes shut down
co grab a Coffee/Beer cum back n wen oil haz settled dip oil to check level

jist the way dodoit

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 3 months ago #152712 by theroadbossman
Hey Swishy,
Sounds good in theory but this engine only has one full flow filter on it which of course I pre-filled before screwing on there. There is no other filter on it.
I am thinking that after I start it, and the level is still way high, then I'll have to suck a litre out - or wait a few hours until it leaks out :D
Thanks for the advice anyway :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #152713 by Blackduck59
A rough guide to oil level with Detroits.
Normal level is around 1/2" below the sump/block join.
Pull the dipstick out and lay it alongside the tube and see where the marks on the stick are.
Cheers Steve

More
9 years 3 months ago #152714 by theroadbossman
Blackduck59: Winner!
I did just as you suggested, and to my surprise the full mark on the dipstick was some 2" below the sump/block join.
Strange I says to myself, and reach for another problem solver in a bottle ;)
On close examination, the dip stick had a GM part number stamped into the top part of the stick; and I googled that part number. The dip stick was from a 1965 Chevy 6 cylinder 300 cubic inch truck motor!

A drive to the local marina that has a lot of dead detroits there, and a poor old and rusted 6v92 found with a dipstick found.

Clean the new dipstick, poke it in the hole, and behold the oil level was about 1/4" below the full mark.

Thank you all for your advice, and to Blackduck59 who might have had this problem before.
8-)

More
9 years 3 months ago #152715 by Blackduck59
That will get you close, can vary if the engine is installed at large angle and just where the dipstick is installed.
Only sure way is indentify what sump is installed and get the capacities from Detroit.
They can be a bit of a headache as they used many different sumps and and dipstick tubes and dipsticks.
A 1/4" low should be fine.
No sure where I got that info, have been through many maintenance and service manuals over the years.
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds