Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Buying a new body truck, but which one? 22 Aug 2015 07:41 #155667

• dieseldog
  • Thank you received: 61

I have been driving a couple of company new hinos ( supposedly 280hp) ... For some reason my heavier 250hp cummins Acco is a lot faster on hills ... Can the 280hp be a lie ? Or just measured from midget horses ?

Horsepower isn't really an accurate comparison. It is just a measurement of the rate at which work is done. Depending on how you look at it, work could be diesel converted into wheel revolutions or it could be diesel converted into noise....

For a true indication, you have to compare the torque output of the engine, multiplied by the overall gear reduction of the particular truck. The biggest number wins...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Buying a new body truck, but which one? 22 Aug 2015 08:01 #155668

• kenny-mopar
  • Thank you received: 0
I done my research there's only about 20ft/lb difference in torque figures ... Maybe it's the more modern restrict exhaust that also slows things down a bit ... The Acco has a 4" straight thu exh

Re: Buying a new body truck, but which one? 06 Nov 2015 19:56 #163728

• .RC.
  • .RC.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Truk just had it's first service and asked about increasing the speed limiter a tiny bit.

Apparently cannot easily be done just by a computer setting, you have to put a ratio box into the speedo cable or something like that. He said most Euro/Jap trucks are the same these days, only US ones they can easily change.

Time to create page: 0.303 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558