Skip to main content

Gliders - a future in Australia

More
8 years 10 months ago #159410 by Wilweld
As I see it, and I could very well be wrong, the idea of a remanufactured truck hinges on the ability to identify the original truck. As the only bit of the truck that the rego authorities are interested in is the VIN, the part of the vehicle that bears that number ( usually the chassis ) would have to be used in the "new" vehicle. Otherwise you descend into "grandfathers axe" territory where the truck has had everything replaced bar the gear knob, but it's still the same truck.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159411 by kenny-mopar
Sort of like street machine making a new HK monaro or GT falcon to win in a competion... I'd imagine most panels gearbox diff suspension engine etc would be "new" but the car would still be registerable as a 1968 model ( for example)

More
8 years 10 months ago #159412 by Zuffen
K-M,

Your example will work as long as the original chassis/monocoque and its number are identifiable and on RTA/Vicroads (whoever) records.

If the above standards aren't met it becomes a new vehicle and meets all 2015 ADR's including emissions.

The Australian Government has rules in place that mean you can't legally import a vehicle over 15 years old if it's modified.

This is to stop what are new cars masquerading as old cars.

I can't see any reason why DOTARS would allow new trucks to run old drivelines.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159413 by Mrsmackpaul
I seem to remember that there was some rule that if it was under ten vehicles built each year the manufacturer did not have to be ADR compliant ??????????

And if I was to nail me a truck together and get it engineered even if it has a KW cab and chassis rails in real terms it is not a KW its a Mrsmackpaul brand of truck or maybe Im just barking up the wrong tree woof woof ;D ;D

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 10 months ago #159414 by Zuffen
The old 10 unit rule was actually 25 and that was total international production.

The rule now is any single vehicle built, Hence my yellow Mitsubishi became a 2013 Homebuilt Vehicle that had to pass most 2013 ADR's. I was excused the airbag and stability control requirements.

Depending on what modifications you make to your Kenny chassis will dictate if it is a modified vehicle or an entirely new vehicle.

I'm currently laying out my next car project and I'm in constant communication with my Engineer to ensure I don't stray into ICV conditions as whilst they aren't impossible to meet they are very difficult to comply with and I have zero interest in going back there.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159415 by Pat Hutchings
I was involved in Building Ted's S-model from the flywheel back. It was a deal between the late Tom Wheeldon & Bill Beamish it was the last Ansett S-model left in the yard at Preston. Shortly after that we imported a W9E glider chassis no116488 from Seattle for John Wettenhall.It came CKD & we fitted the NH250,RT910 & R170 to it to make a W921. The drive line came from his wrecked 921 Diamond T. I doubt whether You would be able to repeat this today in the age of extreme political correctness even though it was a very reliable truck eg. 21 nights straight work at 900000+miles

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 10 months ago #159416 by Swishy
Pat
Gudday M8

While u're here
can U tell us all about some of the early Kenworths
& have U got any pix to share with us all

Thanx in advance
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #159417 by Bobsboy
Hi,

Yup, ADR, year of manufacture and OEM specs.

My tale isn't a Big Iron story but,

1997 Mitsi 4x2 ute.
Purchased second hand with UGLY 15inch mags.
Shopping shopping shopping for something prettier.

Tyre/ wheel guy checked the sticker thing on the door frame and said, 14 inch 185R 14C 8PR is your only choice.

OEM specs for same model in 4x4 allow 16inch steel or 15 inch alloy.
Sell me other than 14inch as "suitable for. . .?"
"Not with my name on it" he said.

(Bought OEM steelies from the wrecker, looks more gooder and rides better too ! ! !)

Similar story with ARB and their Bullbar.
Sell me one ADR speced for that year and model and will not fit anything else.
Chop the "headlamp loops" off?
Nope, different bar (modified), not ADR.
(Going for the steel bumper look here.)

Hmm, stuck with the plastic shell that passes for a front bumper now.

Conclusion?
If you have one of those legal nightmare crashes and they find you're not ADR compliant YOU GOT TROUBLE.

Reading previous posts above about retro fitting an older engine.
So much for my idea about fitting a fully worked blown and injected show quality flathead four (to make equal horsepower to OEM).

just saying,
me being a little fish in a big boys discussion.

-b

P.S.
I do not want to go down the Individually Constructed Vehicle path with this one.

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159418 by Ryan
long and short, it is then hard to keep track of trucks going into the system, the govt kind of pulled the reins on it.
manufacturers are measured on the new vehicles they sell not gliders, which here is used to 're-birth' a damaged truck with good running gear.

when I sold kw's they would not entertain the idea, now at western star, you can order a glider as a part through the parts department as it's NOT a new truck.
taxes and govt charges also differ with all of this too.

good luck trying to get around it, it's easier to move to the usa and order one from Fitzgerald gliders!

More
8 years 10 months ago #159419 by mad_as_hec
There is a small but interesting piece of legislation that may be interesting to explore.....there is a loophole where vehicles can be exported overseas, eg to participate in a race or car show or other event. The paperwork is basically a "passport" for the vehicle so it can be taken out of the country and back on without any of the hoopla associated with importation. If you were to do the paperwork for a junker, send to USA, "glide" it then bring it back in on its vehicular passport, BINGO. New old vehicle.

Time to create page: 0.594 seconds