Skip to main content

Gliders - a future in Australia

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #159420 by Zuffen
I used the provision in 1997 to export and re-import the Mc Claren F1 road car crashed in Sydney when we sent it back to Woking UK for repairs. Cost $1,004,000.

When it came back into the country we were charged duty on the cost of repairs/improvements whilst overseas. Customs knew exactly what was going on.

I couldn't imagine the Authorities not noticing the 1970 KW that went to the States and returned looking brand new hadn't some work done to it or t least meeting Cindy's Fairy-Godmother!

The aren't as silly as we think, as I collect cars from the docks for a friend every few months and they do look quite closely at what's arriving.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Zuffen.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159421 by Mrsmackpaul
Bugger me looks we need to keep on thinking

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 10 months ago #159422 by Zuffen
The trouble is if anyone works out how to do it the Feds will legislate against it.

I've only seen them delete ADR's when replaced by a tougher one or allowing Euro standards to make compliance more standard Worldwide.

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #159423 by
...is the glider proposition to make a new cab/chassis/etc look old ?...or an old cab/chassis/etc look new ??

...the logical extension of a proprietary manufactured truck is the ability to "improve"..or "modernise"..or "make safe" etc...and it's these proprietary manufactured trucks that will cause a major headache for any authority to deny their reason for being improved........even back to fitting my 1965 900 series Kenworth with any upgrade i would like to have....a new rail/rails here...a 550 Cat engine there ?? :-? :-? :-/ :-/

More
8 years 10 months ago #159424 by theroadbossman
I would have to suggest that freight for a prime mover to and back would almost kill it, would it not? :(

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
8 years 10 months ago #159425 by .RC.

I couldn't imagine the Authorities not noticing the 1970 KW that went to the States and returned looking brand new hadn't some work done to it or t least meeting Cindy's Fairy-Godmother!

Don Swishy head of the painters and dockers would get around it... :D:D

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 10 months ago #159426 by Swishy
Arse C

U spend more time down the docs than me
me relize u only get appearance munee

but guess sumone hazta do it

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #159427 by Bobsboy
Hi,

Okay, not so much gliders as ADR's.

I already spoke about my experience with wheels and tyres and bullbars but todays discovery was about external sun visors.

Been exploring the possibility of fitting an external sun visor to my current non commercial non vintage but maybe commercial project.

No second hand stuff of ANY description from a U-Pull-It wrecker.
Go to a commercial wrecker. . . no, not really, new or used, not something you see anymore, a very '70's/ 80's kind of thing.

chat chat, maybe an ADR thing?

Ah, got me to thinking and remembering something about;

(extract from) ADR 42/.. GENERAL SAFETY EQUIREMENTS

External or Internal Protrusions

No vehicle shall be equipped with:

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159428 by Zuffen
Whilst looking at the feasibility of a glider, I always pull up short thinking about electrical wiring.

Now I'm not afraid of wiring and have fully re-wired EFI vehicles from scratch.

However I don't relish the thought of trying to integrate the wiring from a modern truck into a mechanical diesel engine and transmissions. How would you integrate ABS & stability programs into a throttle the ECU can't control.

I think we're dreaming if we think we can have a 2016 chassis with a Screamer and RR box and have it work anything like you want.

I did see a funny thing whilst watching Le Mans on the weekend, one of the AUDI's had to re-boot the on-board computer by shutting down all power whilst traveling at 200kmh+ for 3 seconds then turn it all back on so the brakes and ABS would work properly! Brave chap.

Time to create page: 0.660 seconds