Skip to main content

Hino fm clutch questions

More
8 years 8 months ago #160710 by kind_cir
Hi all, just aquired a 2001 Hino FM 1J with the Eaton 6109 syncro box. The problem I have is it grinds into every gear and even ito first and reverse at a standstill.

I was thinking it would be a clutch adjustment as it mat be not disconnecting drive when you change gears. I am not aware if these clutches have an adjustment on the clutch itself or if it is just via the linkages.

It is a air over hyd system and the clutch pedal in cab has about 55mm free pedal play but the master cyl rod attached to the pedal is at the end of the adjustment all the way out.

There is also a 1/4 inch play at the slave cyl at the side of the box. The adjusting rod here is at the center of it's adjusting range.

Please help me get these adjustments right.

A win without a challenge

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #160711 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Re: Hino fm clutch questions
Can't help with the clutch adjustment but, did it do it from the get go or has it just started ?
Do you know if the box oil has been changed recently ?
They recommend using full synthetic or a very specific grade of oil from memory 80-90 gear for that box, I changed mine a while back and it's considerably harder to change when cold now. but perfect once warm.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by dno.

More
8 years 8 months ago #160712 by Bitsa
Replied by Bitsa on topic Re: Hino fm clutch questions
G'day Kind-cir
Iv'e been wrong plenty of times before, but it sounds like the master cyl is not returning to the beginning of it'stroke or the pressure plate is on the way out.
Hope this help's
Cheers
Alistair

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
8 years 8 months ago #160713 by kind_cir
Had a mechanic come out and look at it. Bleed the hyd system, make sure everything adjusted and moving the right amount. But still could not select a gear at a stand still unless engine was off. Drove it 28km to the workshop and drove it like a crash box no worries.
Will see what they say tomorrow. They think its time for a new clutch. :-/

More
8 years 8 months ago #160714 by mammoth
If the clutch slave is air assist it could be sticking valves in the servo. Have known a case where mechanics replaced a whole clutch only for problem (clutch slip) to reappear. Kit through the servo solved the problem.

More
8 years 8 months ago #160715 by kind_cir
So the verdict is in...
The flywheel bolts have come loose , destroyed the clutch and that is why tings were not working as they should. Lucky I had taken it to the Mechanic as if it went on much longer it could of been disaster for the crank and even me.
I had only just purchased it and drove it home aprox 300km including the Toowoomba range. I had noticed it had a slight vibration at idle and at 90-100kmh.
Dam... if the flywheel had come adrift going down the range.... that could of been an interesting ride. :D :o

More
8 years 8 months ago #160716 by Mrsmackpaul
It sure would have been interesting I have never known anyone to fling a flywheel but I reckon it would scare the heck out of you if it came thru the floor :D :D :D

I have had the bolts come loose on a flywheel once it still ran fan just rattled at some speeds just put the bolts back in with loctite no more problems I have no idea what caused it but it never happened again
Yet other people I know of have had it happen to the same motor more than once I seem to recall something about a harmonic balancer crook dunno it was years ago

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 8 months ago #160717 by theroadbossman
Hey mrsmackaul,
One day when we get together, I'll take my right shoe off and you can see what flinging a flywheel can do to the human body.
It was a 70's model Ford Thames from memory, it had a vibration in it for days but as a young apprentice the boss reckoned it was the harmonic balancer that was shot.
So with a load of general on it bound for the TNT yard at St Peters, as I left the monkey bars at Lansvale (Hume Highway and Woodville Road) and grabbed 2nd cog the windscreen shattered and there was glass everywhere (zone toughened in them days), so what broke the windscreen? The flywheel and clutch on its way out, also trimmed by toes a bit too on the way past. And the assembly landed on the boot of a new new Morris Marina.
And I still don't like driving Ford's today as a result... :D

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
8 years 8 months ago #160718 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Re: Hino fm clutch questions
You're damned lucky to still have your legs or feet as a minimum.

I've seen feet removed in racars.

Count your lucky stars.

More
8 years 8 months ago #160719 by kind_cir
Yes well I was counting my lucky stars the thing did not come off going down the range.
Unfortunately I had just brought the truck in Toowoomba and had not much of a chance to get it up to much speed when I test drove it. It appeared to have a slight vibration but I was not familure with the truck so just wrote it off.

:-/

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds