Skip to main content

Remote gear shift on 03 ACCO

More
8 years 9 months ago #160809 by danski6
Haven't seen this discussed, if it has, sorry I missed it. Anyone out there have suggestions how to free up a stiff gear shift system on a Iveco ACCO 2350G?
Has 9spd RR. Gear stick very stiff to move through gates, especially 1st and rev. Design has two cables, both appear in good cond and g/stick pivot moves freely. Maybe I've been spoiled having only driven direct linkages, KW Merc? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #160810 by asw120
The auto gearshift cable on my dad's bus (over 20' long) became very stiff. I don't know how accessible your cable ends are, but I suggested to Dad that he drip diesel in the top end (accessible with the gearshift boot removed) every night until it came out the other end - took a few days to work its way through, but came up good as new. Does take some patience, though.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #160811 by hayseed
I reckon Jarrod's on the right track..
undo each end & see how free/stiff they are, would be the first thing to do..
Also make sure there's no kinks/sharp bends in them as well..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by hayseed.

More
8 years 9 months ago #160812 by overnite
I wouldn't recommend diesel or WD40. It will work in the short term, until it picks up all the dust and cr*p, and then you're back were you started. Use Silicone spray, dearer in the short term, but better in the long run

More
8 years 9 months ago #160813 by asw120
So far, so good with the diesel after a about year/two, but it doesn't get driven much, either. Doesn't seem to dry out like WD40. I picked it because it penetrates well and I thought it would dissolve into the grease. I tried for a couple of years to get spray(WD40) into the handbrake cables on my Rambler Matador - no good. (long since sold, never got to try diesel on it).

Would love to know how silicon spray goes, if that's the choice.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 9 months ago #160814 by danski6
Thanks guys for the ideas. Access to cable ends is good so I'll delve a bit deeper.

Of note, inside rubber boot of the clutch cable revealed super fine (white) anti friction powder. Unsure if this is factory initiative or after market maintenance product. Clutch cable movement checked out good.

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds