Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Transport Cars in China 07 Oct 2015 17:48 #162668

• Zuffen
  • Zuffen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 258
I recently spent 3 weeks in China and spotted some interesting ways to transport motor vehicles on trucks.

One night we passed what appeared to be a very long tri-axle semi carrying 18 Audis.

18 sounds a lot but the bottom deck had 6 vehicles and the top deck had 12 vehicles on it. The top deck had 2 rows of 6 vehicles on it and the rear overhang was around 8 metres.

I didn't get the opportunity to photograph it (the bus driver didn't speak English and probably had no desire to keep the nut in row 6 happy)

A couple of day slater I spotted another one of these trucks parked on the side of the road. I was on a different bus, but again no photos.

A couple of days after that and whilst cruising down the Yangzi River I got some photos of trucks on a barge with tandem loads.

I did some Googling and you can buy these trailers for $50,000ish US and they are 2.8 to 2.9 metres wide, but I didn't get a length.

An AUDI A3 is 4.23m long so 6 of them need around 26 metres to fit on a trailer.

As the photos show the rear vehicles are overhung a long way and the bottom car appears to be parked on a ramp that is held up by a chain block each side of the ramp.

The trailer appears to be offset to the passenger's side so they don't project into on-coming traffic and only hit pedestrians![/size]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Zuffen.

Re: Transport Cars in China 07 Oct 2015 22:11 #162669

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 213
"The trailer appears to be offset to the passenger's side so they don't project into on-coming traffic and only hit pedestrians!"

Sounds fair! Cyclists included?

Re: Transport Cars in China 07 Oct 2015 22:44 #162670

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 810

"The trailer appears to be offset to the passenger's side so they don't project into on-coming traffic and only hit pedestrians!"

Sounds fair! Cyclists included?

;D ;D ;D ;D

you wacka
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Re: Transport Cars in China 08 Oct 2015 08:18 #162671

• geoffb
  • Thank you received: 50
No wasted space there

Re: Transport Cars in China 08 Oct 2015 11:44 #162672

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 431
Interesting Pics, Zuffen.
I always wanted to go to China. Was all set to go 18 years ago, but ended up in India instead.
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Re: Transport Cars in China 08 Oct 2015 12:13 #162673

• Zuffen
  • Zuffen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 258
China is a fascinating place, 1st World Economy and 3rd World living standards.

Road transport was interesting and in my time there I didn't see a single bit of Yanky Iron (sorry Swishy) but heaps of Volvo buses and Sino Benz trucks.

Trucks were almost all COE's and quite new and in good condition.

Their driving is another story. We came across a semi doing a U turn at the entrance gates to a Motorway and about to head off against the traffic flow for quite a few hundred metres to get to the on-ramp so he could get off the approach to the Motorway.

The comment about the wider trucks hitting the Motorcycles is quite accurate as they don't only ride on the road they use the footpath with no regard for pedestrians.

These photos are in Chengdu outside the Shangri-La Hotel. We took out life into our hands and walked on the footpath with the motorcylces.

Masses of new construction but all the concrete work is shabby and I can see concrete cancer being a major problem is 25 years.

Re: Transport Cars in China 12 Oct 2015 16:46 #162674

• grahamjb
  • Thank you received: 18
Zuffen, we have friends who live in Shanghai and visit them every few years or so and I can relate to your comments. I hate the electric scooters that you can't hear and they pass very close usually scary the wits of you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558