Skip to main content

Hino temp gauge problem

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166816 by wedgetail84
The temp gauge in our hino 2004 GH1J is playigng up. Generally, when you have the air con on and things are warming up (big load, up a hill) the temp gauge climbs right up, switch the air con fan off and the gauge falls back down to normal temps. Behaves fine until you turn the air con on. I'm thinking they share an earth which has gone bad. But having problems finding it. I thought I could just add another earth, but can't work out which wire.

Hino emailed me the wiring diagram for the sender and gauge (combo meter) but it does't show any earths. Is any one able to decipher it or know where I'd find the earth?

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by wedgetail84.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166817 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Hino temp gauge problem
Hmm i may have rushed things here, I was obsessing over an earth but just assumed it was sending a 24v to the gauge and then reading the resistance, actually it's looking at the resistance to earth isn't it... So it might be one of those connections to fuse 19 or 3

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 2 months ago #166821 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Hino temp gauge problem
Wedgy
Gudday M8

Sum big beasties have factory set
to increase coolin wen AC iz on
dunno ifn u're lorry haz a variable speed fan or doodadd to increase cool n wen AC iz on

Jist guessin outside the square
otherz may kno bettr
:lol: :lol:
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 2 months ago #166823 by wedgetail84
well it's a recent problem, hasn't always been like this. Also doesn't have to be ac, can just be heater fan...

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 2 months ago #166824 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Hino temp gauge problem
Crook Contact or and Earth

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 2 months ago #166826 by wedgetail84

Swishy wrote: Crook Contact or and Earth

completely agree, it's finding them I'm struggling with. It's not short of a wire or two behind the dash and I need to find where to look...

More
8 years 2 months ago #166832 by Bitsa
Replied by Bitsa on topic Hino temp gauge problem
Sounds to me that you might have a crook fuze or connection supplying 24V to the AC or Heater Fans.
I f this is the case, when you have a reduced voltage supplying the gauge, the reading will be affected, ie , lower voltage with the same current running through the gauge changes the resistance, ie, more resistance = higher temp reading.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Alistair

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166834 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Hino temp gauge problem
I sent you a PM Wedgie.

Your problem reminds me of almost every Austoft cane harvester and Powerhaul I have ever driven, as you'd have to turn off all your lights and air con to get an accurate fuel level reading.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by dieseldog.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166837 by wedgetail84

Bitsa wrote: Sounds to me that you might have a crook fuze or connection supplying 24V to the AC or Heater Fans.
I f this is the case, when you have a reduced voltage supplying the gauge, the reading will be affected, ie , lower voltage with the same current running through the gauge changes the resistance, ie, more resistance = higher temp reading.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Alistair

Thanks - yeah this seems the theme. It's coming over today so I'm going to have at the fuse box and dash. First will check if they share fuses...

dieseldog wrote: I sent you a PM Wedgie.

Your problem reminds me of almost every Austoft cane harvester and Powerhaul I have ever driven, as you'd have to turn off all your lights and air con to get an accurate fuel level reading.

Thanks DD, good to know you've come across a similar problem. Now you mention lights I think someone might have mentioned the lights triggered the fault the other day!

More
8 years 2 months ago #166880 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Hino temp gauge problem
From what I can work out, the CPU is supplied from fuse 19. I'm assuming the CPU is looking at the current flowing through the temperature sensor, and supplying a current to the gauge that is proportional to the sensor current. I can't see where the air con circuit ties into these circuits as these are low current control/supervisory circuits.

Since the air con compressor and coolant temperature sensor are both earthed on the engine block, I would check the block to chassis earth strap.

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds