Skip to main content

Jap trucks

More
14 years 5 months ago #16620 by hofmann
Jap trucks was created by hofmann
I have been looking at buying a truck for my small residential building business. I was going to get an old one but the guys kept tempting me with modern trucks. If I'm going to buy a modern truck, I am sorely tempted to import a japanes one. I have been looking at this site.
www.tradecarview.com/
Is there any traps for young players.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16621 by hofmann
Replied by hofmann on topic Re: Jap trucks
Wrong place to be asking about jap trucks eh?

More
14 years 5 months ago #16622 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Jap trucks
Hoffy,as long as the`re over 30 years old at least,you may get a response...................................if it`s something interesting.

14 years 5 months ago #16623 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jap trucks
From talking to mates who have cars imported the thing they indicate is to try and find a company that deals with these grey imports. As there sometimes can be a lot of offical stuff to do with customs and shipping etc.

The biggest hurdle I have found from these grey imports is the availabilty of parts. As even if the model is already in Australia it might be made for export so different components to the ones made for the local market. So parts may not be carried here. Local dealers may not want to look at it either. Just do lot of research and would really suggest finding a agent to handle the import part.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16624 by bigcam
I reckon they should never have been allowed in in the first place.Quite often the Australian models have dual circuit air over hydraulic brakes,and an ADR approved fuel tank,those pieces of shite usually only have single circuit vacuum assisted hydraulic brakes,a pressed fuel tank that would look at home in asia,wooden trays (lets step back in time 40 years),and quite often you can`t get some part for them.There was a reason they wern`t imported in the first place (like they wouldn`t comply with the ADR`s of the time).The`re all crap.blah blah blah,rant rave.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16625 by hofmann
There seems to be trucks on that website that would fit into the too good to be true bracket but I don't assume there's a catch until I find one. So you guys are saying that the Japanese standards are lower than Australia. I suppose I had the impression that if anything, the opposite was true, considering they essentially put vehicles off the road at 100 000. On the other hand, considering they actually do that, perhaps they can get away with making them to lower specs. Now Bigcam, you make me laugh, but are you ranting because you saw one with what sounds like a lesser brake system and a shitty fuel tank or is this just an example of their general shittyness? And if you fought against them in a war or something, you gotta own up.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16626 by hofmann
I read through the thread about your inter jb. I've heard you say many times, will this ever end. As you know, I bought an old acco but if I come accross problems like yours, I may not actually be able to fix them myself as you seem to do. This could mean that the truck becomes extortionately expensive to run and I will become dissolusioned. If this happens, I will most likely become interested in a newish truck. What I haven't mentioned so far on the site is that bargains give me the jollies. I'm worse than my wife at the January sales. The other day I bought an electric eel for plumbing. I'll basically never use it and if I do, it probably won't work but it was only $50. I'm helpless, I'll buy anything. I have a feeling I'm not the only one around here with this problem. I've seen some pieces of machinery around here that wouldn't exactly fit into the need category of ones monthly budget.
So, to cut a long story short, I wanna know why I shouldn't buy an early 2000 model, 5ish tonne truck with under 100 000 kms for about ten grand. You guys have given me some reasons but I can see its not really your field. I will most likely continue to research it and I will post my findings if they are interesting.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16627 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Jap trucks
jap trucks ..just like us aussies found out in the 60s with jap cars ..are cheap And reliable .. its funny nowadays you see a lot of older aussies driving Japanese cars .. a few years back they mostly drove fords and holdens . . i wonder why . . . . . . .

More
14 years 5 months ago #16628 by hofmann
Oh yeah, bigcam, I'm ptretty sure they don't have wooden trays. When was it you saw the truck in question? ;D I'm a carpenter so if they did, I'd probably prefer it.

More
14 years 5 months ago #16629 by bigcam
Hoffy,the jap truck that is sold in Australia is a completly different animal to the one sold in Japan,which is what my comments where about.I`m in complete concurrance with everybody else mate,they are tough and reliable.What i believe is wrong though,is that the government allowed the imports of similar models,if they where meant to be here,the manufacturer should have sold them and that would ensure they comply to the ADR`s.Have a look at a couple of the imports,I reckon You`ll find a wooden tray among them.I took one off to put a tilt tray on one once,and it was a PIA,the scrap blokes don`t take away wood,and we couldn`t get a PTO to fit the truck because it was a different gearbox to the Aussie ones,and single curciut vacuum assisted brakes,that the Aussie model would have had dual circuit air over hydraulic.
You can`t go wrong buying a Jap truck,just don`t buy an import.

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds