Skip to main content

48' trailers

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169516 by wedgetail84
48' trailers was created by wedgetail84
Just wondering if it's realistic trying to fit a 48' trailer behind a short bonneted PM with a short sleepr - e.g. a 4800 or SAR with a 28/36" sleeper (not looking to sleep in it, ever - more carry clean/fragile/small loose stuff)? Looking at a trailer with a 13358mm back to king pin, which by my calcs mean it would need a truck with less than 5642mm bumper to turntable centre. So for a 4800 (872 setback) that's 4770mm FA to turntable, allowing roughly 200mm from bogie centre gives a 4970 wheelbase, which to me seems doable in a second hand truck. But the trailer seller reckons you just can not under any circumstances pull it with any bonneted sleeper PM and be under 19m.

Have I missed something, made wrong assumptions? Are there many bonneted sleeper trucks with a WB under 5m getting around? How much extra does a bullbar normally ad on the front? I know turntable centre to bogie centre is set up desired axel loadings, but 200mm is ball park is it not? 13358 gives a front overhang of 1242mm...
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by wedgetail84.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169542 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 48' trailers
there's quite a few 48' compatable Bonneted trucks with a sleeper about.
Western Star4800 & 5800 will fit..Kenworth build a recessed back sleeper just for that purpose. Iveco Powerstar will fit.As will a Sterling or Frieghtliner Century Class..

From Memory anything that can tow a 34 pallet B Double can fit a 48' trailer..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by hayseed. Reason: typo

More
7 years 11 months ago #169545 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic 48' trailers
I used to tow a 48' fridge trailer behind a bonneted day cab NH Volvo ( don't read this Swishy) and apparently it was just on the limit.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 11 months ago #169548 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 48' trailers
AtkiPete
Gudday M8

RE: don't read this Swishy

Looks like eye did

LOL

Glad 2 C U cum 2 u're senses
n bailed out of the 'V'bus B 4 U went all queer n gay

LOL

(Dont Read this ReX) LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 11 months ago #169549 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic 48' trailers

hayseed wrote: there's quite a few 48' compatable Bonneted trucks with a sleeper about.
Western Star4800 & 5800 will fit..Kenworth build a recessed back sleeper just for that purpose. Iveco Powerstar will fit.As will a Sterling or Frieghtliner Century Class..

From Memory anything that can tow a 34 pallet B Double can fit a 48' trailer..

glad to hear this, so I haven't missed anything with numbers? What are those KW recessed back sleepers called? So is your 34 pallet = 48' single rule for 25m B doubles?

atkipete - your reply sort of contradicts hayseed, was it a really long wheel base or very long nose (don't think so). Or did the trailer have the kingpin right at the end maybe?

More
7 years 11 months ago #169551 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 48' trailers

wedgetail84 wrote: glad to hear this, so I haven't missed anything with numbers? What are those KW recessed back sleepers called?

So is your 34 pallet = 48' single rule for 25m B doubles?

i believe so..But there's a fair chanch I'm a bit rusty on the regs.. best do some Homework..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:

More
7 years 11 months ago #169553 by Vic Rhodes
Replied by Vic Rhodes on topic 48' trailers

wedgetail84 wrote: Looking at a trailer with a 13358mm back to king pin, ..

Might pay to remeasure that....

www.nhvr.gov.au/road-access/mass-dimensi...and-dimension-limits

Trailers - On a semi-trailer or dog trailer the distance from the front articulation point to the rear over hang line must not be more than 9.5 metres and the distance from the front articulation point to the rear of the trailer must not be more than 12.3 metres. The maximum forward projection of a semi-trailer, or anything attached to a semi-trailer must not protrude beyond a 1.9-metre arc from the towing pivot pin (King pin). The articulation point to the rear of a semitrailer may be up to 13.2 metres if the trailer has a distance of not more than 9.5 metres from the front articulation point to the rear overhang line, does not operate in a B-double or road train combination and otherwise complies dimensionally.

More
7 years 11 months ago #169582 by atkipete
It is a few years back now but I recall the NH Volvo as being a regular length prime mover although they could not fit a bull bar because it ran with the 48' trailers Great truck to drive ( don't read this Swishy) and I preferred it to the FH Volvos.
Rules for 48" trailers here massmanagement.com.au/pdfs/vic/Vic%2048%20ft%20trailers.pdf Was this about the time we went from 17.5 metres overall to 19 metres for a semi. ?

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169591 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic 48' trailers
Not sure what's out then, it could be his measurements or it could be illegal... If it really is what he says it is I guess it would need moving if we bought it. He's a qld seller but says it goes over the pits every year for some reason.

So the vic roads link says 5.8m bullbar to king pin, I guess atki your nh didn't fit in that
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
7 years 11 months ago #169594 by atkipete
It looks like the Western Star 4800 with sleeper would fit. www.westernstar.com.au/wp-content/upload...C-Specs-Brochure.pdf

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds