Skip to main content

Reading 2004 Hino fault codes

More
7 years 8 months ago #173468 by wedgetail84
I had the check engine light come on in our 2004 GH1J Hino a couple of days ago. It ran rough then when left to sit and restarted came good. Regardless of this issue (but to help track it too) I'm trying to find a scan tool to read codes. Does anyone know what I need?

Speaking to Newcastle Hino didn't help a huge lot. He said maybe I could bridge some contacts in the diagnostic port and something might flash... He also said the available service tool (from overseas) - S096301370 and harness S096302300 was only a crude flashing LED and I'd still need othe $600 service manual to decode! The best would be a generic scan tool like a $200 Launch that I could also use to read other jap/US trucks and landcruisers etc., but even if I could get an adapter (can anyone suggest one?) I don't know if it would speak. Does anyone know what program a would read a J08E computer?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173547 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Reading 2004 Hino fault codes
This has some good information. The codes are up the back.
www.service-engine.com.ua/webroot/pdf/HI...%20J08E%20Engine.pdf

The code numbers look like "standard" ODB numbers

and this site shows scanners for the jo8e

www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Code+R...&results=20&sortBy=2
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by jon_d. Reason: update

More
7 years 8 months ago #173579 by wedgetail84
wow John I searched for ages and didn't pull up anything like as good as those, thanks a lot. However, I now realise I've made a mistake - we must have a JO8C not E, it's not common rail and is 2004... I tried using those sites to find info but am struggling, are you able to work your magic again?

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173581 by jon_d
The JO8C is not common rail, does it have a computer? I can't seem to find anything that indicates a C has a computer
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by jon_d. Reason: grammar

More
7 years 8 months ago #173599 by wedgetail84

jon_d wrote: The JO8C is not common rail, does it have a computer? I can't seem to find anything that indicates a C has a computer

no not common rail, looking at photos JO8C is it. Yes it has a computer - electronic throttle (E stop cable is the only manual control on it) and a massive electronic module bolted on the back of the pump. Has a checked engine light that came on. Newcastle Hino were just able to give me above info but were pretty hazy, Muswellbrook beyond useless

More
7 years 8 months ago #173607 by jon_d
Sorry,

I can't seem to find anything. .. Only lots on the common rail.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173617 by 600Dodge
The Jo8C isn't common rail, it has a mechanical pump and an electronic governor so technically while it has a computer it isn't en ECM but rather a VCM but you can still read codes from it if you have the right reader. If you can find the OBD2 port you could try any basic code reader but you might be better off going to the Hino dealer and getting the codes read. Does the check engine light stay on or is it flashing? If it is flashing you can read the code from the flashes.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173632 by wedgetail84
thanks for the reply dodge. The light does stay on continuously when it happens. I can find a plugI think is the diagnostic port (it's blue) but is oblong shaped not OBDII style. I guess I'd need a specific adapter - the PN I referred to above for the harness might work but I can't find a yes or no there (and no photos). I went to our local and decent truck garage recently and he showed me all the adapters on his Launch reader and none fit. I've now spoken to a couple of people who've said a generic tool may work, but hooking one up seems to be the sticking point.

Speaking to a bloke at snapon diagnostics he was sure you can pull codes by shorting terminals at the port and reading the flashes. Would still need the WSM to make sense of them though...

More
7 years 8 months ago #173644 by jon_d
Here ya go.... try this link.

www.tgidirect.com/v5fmsnet/linkposting/h...cument/78-07E-04.pdf

If you ask the right question, google plays ball.

"Hino j08c flashing codes"

More
7 years 8 months ago #173645 by 600Dodge
If you can post a photo of the plug I can probably identify it, I work for a Hino sub agent so we should have one in the Hino kit.

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds