Skip to main content

Want to buy a truck - advice please

More
14 years 4 months ago #17920 by wgipps
Hi all
Never driven or owned a working truck. I am about to get my medium rigid truck licence (Vic).
I want to buy a truck capable of carrying between 7-10 tonnes. My proposed use is suburban so i dont need a highway cruiser. It is only going to be used part time so i dont need new. At this stage I only need a cab-chassis - I dont need a particular set-up. I want to spend less than $10,000 - ideally id like to pick up something workable for around $5000.
I have no idea what to buy but i have seen Isuzu trucks around that price that will suit my purposes.
Can you guys please offer some advice on trucks that might meet my needs? Are Isuzu's any good? I realise the truck i am looking for will be over 10 years old - what should i be looking for OR what should i be avoiding? What about other makes - Hino, Mitsubishi, Ford, etc, etc? Petrol or diesel?
Please - if it should be said, say it - dont for a second think that i have any sort of knowledge or experience on the matter!!
Appreciate any tips/help.
Thanks
Glenn

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #17921 by bigcam
Buy a diesel unless you aren`t thinking of going to far,if you havn`t driven trucks before buy a little Jap one with good brakes and train yourself to look about 1/2 a kilometre ahead so you don`t need to use the brakes.Like they say,when it comes to brakes,good drivers don`t need them,and bad drivers don`t deserve them.Practice going down hills in the gear you go up them in,with out touching the brakes.And take your time.A little Jap truck will drive like a car,but if your not cautious with an old truck when it comes to hills or stopping you might be in for a surprise you don`t want.My cousin spotted an SB Bedford bus converted into a camper going down the Toowoomba range about six months ago.Old mate must have used the same principles you`d use going down there in a commodore.He`d done an impression of Liberace and had run up the back of a fully laden semi coming down the range,smoke coming out of all the wheels on the old Bedstead.The truckie was just cruising down the range on the Jakes,well aware of his passenger.I reckon there would have been a cheap Bedford camper on the market after that effort.

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #17922 by kennymopar2
was it a flat nose bedford ?
the jap trucks are good but on your MR licence about a 8 ton load would be the limit unless you look for something with a GVM of 15 or 16 ton .. the isuzus & Hinos in my opinion are best (although i have two UDs )as stated you will need to get used to the truck brakes most "8" tonners have air brakes & you might find your nose on the windscreen the first few times at low speed you apply your brakes .. obviously check the engine breather in a prospective truck after youve taken it for a test drive . . i guess in the isuzu trucks your best bet for cheap $ would be a JCR in the Hino would be a FF .. or in a UD a CPB/CPC series ..all the best in truck hunting
ken
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by kennymopar2.

More
14 years 3 months ago #17923 by tim
Mate, just like buying an old car, you get what you pay for. Isuzu's are good but don't forget to look for RUST in the cabs. Best of luck

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
14 years 3 months ago #17924 by atkipete
A two axle truck ( MR licence ) will probably manage a legal load of about 8 ton ( as a tray) or ( 7 ton as a taultliner). Taultiners are good, many customers want them, but they need more power to move along, even empty.
Any heavier than that you will need a 3 axle truck ie adding a lazy axle for metro work or bogie drive if you venture off the road.( plus a HR licence) An older Mitsubishi or International ACCO would also be in your price range. Make sure you get ( or budget for) a suspension seat and power steering. You might need to spend around 10K to get something decent with a genuine roadworthy certificate. :-/ :-/

More
14 years 3 months ago #17925 by wgipps
Can i update you all - and thanks for the advice.
I ended up with a 10.5 tonne (G) Isuzu SCR420 with a water tanker on it. It was on ebay (item 220518459433) and i got it delivered and within the $ range listed.
It is very clean under the cab. Have replaced suspension bushes and shackles and shockers. I am learning as i go - Peter at Bunyip Diesel Repairs is a god send - very experienced and very helpful. Highly recommended!!!
It is all set up for water carting and goes really well.
So now i am a truckie - arent i? All i need now is my MR license!!
I do need a few bits for the truck - wing mirrors, couple of indicators and headlights and such. I cant seem to find any wreckers open this time of year. Anyone got one of these old things that i can get some parts off?
Cheers
Glenn

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 3 months ago #17926 by Swishy

Gippsa
GuddayM8

RE:I cant seem to find any wreckers open this time of year
Nar
I'd take up knittn or drink n till the end of January
Coz U not gunna get any sense out any one till then

U kno! School holidays, Aust day weekend n WORK iz a four letter word in January

LOL

UNLESS

Unless sarge haz the Keys to Midland

;D

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 3 months ago #17927 by Sarge
Swishy, I am on night shift, I wonder of the old midnight auto's are open any more?? ;D ;D

They did seem to specialize in Fords and Holdens though.....

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
14 years 2 months ago #17928 by atkipete
That looks like an ex fuel tank on it, may be over weight with a full load of water.

14 years 2 months ago #17929 by
Going by the ebay add it takes approx 7000 litres of water.

So it would be approx 7 ton of water. Hope it has internal baffles!

Looks ok however. Good luck and keep us posted how you go!

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds