Skip to main content

SCR - AdBlue stuff

More
14 years 4 months ago #18554 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: SCR - AdBlue stuff
Agreed, I dunno what the environmental impact of all these empty AdBlue containers will be. Maybe that is what Swishy built his FB shed.... so he could store them till someone works out what to do with them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #18555 by
Replied by on topic Re: SCR - AdBlue stuff
Gday Pete

I have heard about this stuff over here too.
Because I am a nosey sod, I decided to find out more about AdBlue.

Whatever they are charging for it, it must be the packaging that costs because it is only made up of two components :
32.5% Urea (the main nitrogenous end-product of protein synthesis in mammals )
67.5% Water

So if you happen to run out .....

Add the contents of 1 bladder to twice as much tap water and thats about it :)

This is technically correct, but may infringe your vehicle warranty terms.

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 4 months ago #18556 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: SCR - AdBlue stuff
Pete,

What sort of truck is it????

Joe

14 years 4 months ago #18557 by
Pete

Confirmed today that both the BP in Laverton and also the BP Western Highway Rockbank both have it out of a pump $1.40 per ltr.
The tank on my mates UD is a 60 litre tank and he uses about 20 litres per week for 2000 kms.

More
14 years 4 months ago #18558 by atkipete
Thanks for the info, I was reading up on the net and people were talking about 5% of diesel useage. At that rate buying it in containers is not really an option.
This fellow was looking at an Iveco Eurocargo but now talking Japanese.

14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #18559 by
This is just typical of the crap we are expected to put up with in the future, as regards pollution controls and the environmental good.
Isn't it amazing, how everything to do with improving our environment, costs us??? No wonder the big financiers and big corporations support this angle.
With the truck and tractor manufacturers sharing common directors with oil companies, what hope have we got??

I'm all for improving our environment, and reducing pollution .. but why does Joe the trucker, or Pete the tractor owner, have to bear all the cost?? It's no wonder people are revolting about "climate change" treaties and the increased amount of laws and taxes to meet these treaties.

Isn't it amazing how all the new pollution control engines use more fuel? .. and how they need "special" oils and additives?? .. and how you can no longer work on them yourself, because they are so technically complex, and the mechanisms, and how they operate, are kept from you???? As a result, you're obliged to take it to the dealer, where some dope-smoking clown, who shouldn't be allowed to handle any tool besides a rubber sword, effectively stuffs it up more! It's pure bull$h!t, designed to keep ripping us off!!

Where's the new technology that these pricks should be producing, that is more efficient and LESS cost??!!
There are totally new design engines, and heads, and valve systems, that are goers .. and the big manufacturers won't have a bar of them, and they are intent on keeping the status quo! They are utter bastards!!
>:( >:(

More
14 years 4 months ago #18560 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: SCR - AdBlue stuff
It goes with needing to 'be seen to do something' while really improving the return to shareholders so the executive get bigger bonuses,

after all anybody here not want a pay rise?

of course as long as you are 'seen' to do something you don't actually have to do anything at all.

Car makers have been doing this for yonks providing 'service directives' to their dealer's workshops to fix problems or upgrade the ECU programming rather than recalling vehicles as it looks better when there are no recall notices in the news and it locks people into dealer servicing rather than competent mechanics.

I still remember working on a rail trolley about 10 years ago at Menzies Creek, gapping the plug, and a member of the publkic asked what we were doing. We explained and he said "I work for a Holden Dealer in Sydney where I finished my apprenticeship 5 years ago and nobody has taught me anything about checking plugs". Further discussions showed he was basically taught the order to replace parts when fixing problems, not about diagnosing faults or repairing parts!

Talking to other mechanics I find this is common in dealerships

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
14 years 4 months ago #18561 by huppypuppy
SloSpeed,

Your mate's UD would not be, by chance, a GW470, would it??? Bloody terrific truck, and the first outside Europe to use SCR - but not alone, as they use EGR as a fallback if the AdBlue tank runs dry!

Joe

More
14 years 3 months ago #18562 by atkipete
Saw it over at BP Laverton Trevor, I was also reading it only has a shelf life of 12 months so your mate's tank full may go off.

More
14 years 3 months ago #18563 by huppypuppy
Mazda have just released a new version of the CX-7 with a 2.2 litre turbocharged intercooled diesel engine called the CX-7 Diesel Sports - this has SCR to control emissions.... here's the link to the video:

They say the AdBlue tank (15.5 litre capacity) can go 20,000 kilometres between fills - as part of every 20K service, it gets topped up at a additional cost of $140 on top of the, say, $600 for the service!

smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/the-car-that...t-20091014-gwiy.html

Joe

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds