Skip to main content

Strange little vans

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #186033 by atkipete
Strange little vans was created by atkipete
Have seen these little vans about before - fitted with flashing lights and what appears to be a speed display in the back window. There seemed to be three of them, one in each lane. Anyone know what they are up to?
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by atkipete.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 8 months ago #186034 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Strange little vans
AtkiPete
Gudday m8

Me thinx the 52.4 is meteres for safe distance from the rear for the VW polute n diesel

LOL

cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 8 months ago #186038 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Strange little vans
Speed camera calibration?

More
6 years 8 months ago #186046 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Strange little vans
Some of our local hoons could assist with that.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #186051 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Strange little vans
speed calibration of cameras is the correct answer. We were stopped by roadworkers well back from the traffic lights in Echuca at the Ogilviie Avenue/High street corner (where KFC is). They had a ute with one of those screens in the back and the back window open stopped just in front of us. The moment the light went green he floored it and set off the speed camera.

The roadworker said it was used to calibrate the trigger point for the speed camera and to check if the speed camera was accurate or needed to be swapped out for repair. He also warned me that they were going to block all traffic through the intersection to run some red light camera tests

So I went out of town a back way when heading home

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by bparo.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186060 by atkipete
Looks like Lang has nailed it. With all this testing we still seem to have a lot of intersections where the amber cycle is less than the recommended 4 or 5 seconds and cameras there do a roaring trade.
You missed out on the grand prize Swishy ( a ten mile trip in my Dodge) but better luck next time. Not much about the VW saga lately, pity our owners here don't get the same refunds US ones do. I reckon if Alan Fells was still running the ACCC it would be a different story.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186064 by Lang
Can't figure out why people got a payout from VW at all. Nobody lost anything and they had the use of more power than they would have if the smog stuff was switched on.

VW itself of course should be penalised for fudging the system and breaking the rules but I don't think too many people are lining up to jump off The Gap because they can't stand the anguish of being tricked into causing global warming.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree

More
6 years 8 months ago #186075 by atkipete
Well, if I was a VW owner I would be pissed off. Firstly they were sold a product that wasn't in reality what they said it was ie clean and grren diesels. Secondly the resale value of the vehicle is less now that the facts are known.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186077 by Lang
I do believe companies must be held accountable for breaking the rules and punished accordingly but unlike community expectations these days where everybody screams compensation for every little thing, personal compensation should only be for genuine measurable loss not hurt feelings. You can get your revenge by buying a Toyota next time.

We are not talking about the difference between an electric car and an overfueled 6-71 GM, the difference between VW figures is very small.
Yes, they were told it was better - tell me any car that gets its advertised fuel consumption figures in real life driving day-in, day-out. To get compensation you have to suffer some real measurable loss, hurt feelings is a Slater and Gordon class action cause. The best reason for VW to pay something is as a "sorry" gift to maintain customer approval.

The resale thing is anecdotal, The Australian covered that subject recently and there is little evidence that VW have lost much resale ground at all despite expectations.

I might be wrong but I would still buy a VW if it suited the job I wanted done as no motor manufacturer is the truthful golden-haired boy. It is all about sales figures.

Lang

More
6 years 8 months ago #186091 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Strange little vans
I owned a VW polo diesel for three years biggest heap of s--t I've ever owned had to replace all injectors $1000 each ,alternator $1000 particle filter sensor $95 , the last one that broke me was the EGR valve needed to be replaced would have cost me $1800.Got rid of the bomb because had been told the auto gearbox's were suspect wich cost $7000 to replace NEVER OWN A VW AGAIN

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds