Skip to main content

More cyclists getting injured

More
6 years 6 months ago #186795 by atkipete
www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/why-are-m...-on-the-road/8886930

Personally I think bicycle lanes are making the problem worse.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #186811 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic More cyclists getting injured
Maybe just leave them alone, strongest survives?
No2 son just drove his bike across the Simpson, was so easy he turned around and went back the other way then back again via the Fink. Anyway on the way he comes across a line of BIG 4X's, apparently back up vehicles for some off road cyclists doing a Simpson crossing for some charity.
All a worthy cause except the back up team had no clue about sand driving, made huge ruts with the tyres pumped up to the max, continuously bogged and actually in fear of running out of fuel and water.
Meanwhile the treadly team is 50k ahead with no problems at all.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #186819 by Blackduck59
They think they own the road and ride like they do and don't bother to obey road rules, unfortunately for them there are other road users who pay licenses and taxes who would like to use the same roads.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
6 years 6 months ago #186822 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic More cyclists getting injured
I think it is part of our descent into a politically correct luvvy world that we spend hundreds of millions on bike lanes for a tiny percentage of the population who ride bikes.

The main problem is 95% of bike riders are not using them for commuting (which is the given reason we are building these lanes) but for recreation. The cost and disruption to the traffic flow is caused by people having fun or exercise, totally unessential to the life of the general community.

Why do we not have horse lanes, jogging lanes, skateboard lanes (probably more daily skateboarders than cyclists). Cyclists on busy modern roads are the equivalent of smokers in restaurants - I will have my personal pleasure and every one else can put up with it. There are millions of miles of recreation-suitable roads in Australia for them but they should certainly be removed from main traffic arteries in peak hours.

Just my opinion.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, Southbound

More
6 years 6 months ago #186828 by Bobsboy
Hi,

Adelaide CC (no details supplied), is going to build an East West cycle lane in the CBD.

Twelve, 12 million dollars. WTF?
That's real money isn't it?
One could do a lot of good things with that kind of money and a bike lane wouldn't be one of them.

bwwik?

cya
-b

Mucking about on the edge

More
6 years 6 months ago #186829 by Blackduck59
Can they make it a tolllane? Let them pay for it.

More
6 years 6 months ago #186846 by atkipete
I drive trucks around the inner suburbs of Melbourne and regularly see the absolute worst of cyclist’s behaviour. Their disregard for other road users and road rules is almost universal.
The proliferation of cycle lanes seems to be more an ideological thing by some councils and not based on good engineering practice. Adding cycle lanes to existing roadways without maintaining minimum lane widths or turning room for heavy vehicles simply creates new hazards. They often include poor surfaces such as cobblestones and are not maintained.
Are they a good use of taxpayers money or road space. Probably not, we now have the situation where cyclists are allowed to use the bus lanes and a fully loaded bus is held up one inconsiderate cyclist out on their training ride.
Tollways for cyclists - why not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
6 years 6 months ago #186848 by Mrsmackpaul

atkipete wrote: I drive trucks around the inner suburbs of Melbourne and regularly see the absolute worst of cyclist’s behaviour. Their disregard for other road users and road rules is almost universal.
The proliferation of cycle lanes seems to be more an ideological thing by some councils and not based on good engineering practice. Adding cycle lanes to existing roadways without maintaining minimum lane widths or turning room for heavy vehicles simply creates new hazards. They often include poor surfaces such as cobblestones and are not maintained.
Are they a good use of taxpayers money or road space. Probably not, we now have the situation where cyclists are allowed to use the bus lanes and a fully loaded bus is held up one inconsiderate cyclist out on their training ride.
Tollways for cyclists - why not.

Lets not forget all the people on the foot path trying to go about their daily lives with the bikes darting all over the joint
Sadly the end result will be were ever the powers that be reckon the most votes are
Toll lane for bikes I think is a good idea, they dont pay rego or contribute to the up keep of roads at all as far as I know yet demand so much from them that it should only stand to reason that they start to put up some hard earned for the up keep

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 6 months ago #186856 by Pierre
Bikes on roads were OK when there were horse & carts.
Doesn't work in today's modern busy, fast traffic flows and when riders wear dark clothes.
Bike lanes are expensive to build & available land is becoming scarce!
Suggestions:-
If you ride a bike for fitness - go to a gym
If you ride a bike for fun - get to a veladrome
I've never seen a bicycle rider yet with a smile on his or her face!
Walking is stress free.
:)
Cheers Pierre

Pierre

More
6 years 6 months ago #186861 by busman
I give the cyclists the benefit of plenty of space, the first time.
When they keep passing me at lights and I have to get past them time and time again I am probably not so caring !

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds