Skip to main content

A day in the life UK Truck

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187444 by Lang
This is interesting just to scroll through. An English truck driver shot his whole day in a well edited recording. Shows the crappy narrow roads and streets they have to live with day after day. We would be servicing these narrow places with lighter delivery trucks but the Poms expect the big vehicles to come down these tight lanes every time.

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187446 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic A day in the life UK Truck
Lang,
I think you attached the wrong video. No trucks, no narrow lanes, mostly freeways. All cars were Left Hand Drive, and in LHD Country(ies?) Mostly shot from Austin A55 car but I also saw A40, A30, 1952 to 1955 Morris Minors (split windscreen but Morris 1000-style grille) glimpses of J2 or J4 van. (rear corner) I also saw VW, Opel?, Humber?, etc.

It was obviously a factory-sponsored trial, with cars with non-standard gauges attached to dash. (at least one car with four gauges and one with five), refuelling from two-gallon cans carried in the boot, Team mechanics making adjustments, etc. All professionally filmed.

Very interesting to me, as an Austin-BMC-Leyland but mostly Morris enthusiast, but not the one you described.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187448 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic A day in the life UK Truck
Sorry I did put a duplicate of the BMC road test I put up in the Old Truck section but have corrected this. Was only there for a few minutes - you must be quick. I think the right one is there now.

PS I just had a rush of blood to the head and bought a 1958 2 door Morris Minor sight-unseen on Ebay in Tasmania to have an adventure with my 10 year old grandson in December driving back to Brisbane. Absolutely no interest in Morris Minors so if you know someone who wants one for Xmas it is for sale when we get back (if we get back) at $4,000.
Lang
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187450 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic A day in the life UK Truck
Whoops, as soon as I posted my previous comment and was about to exit the thread, the correct video came up. Please ignore my comment about wrong one.

Certainly some very tight spaces there! I do not think I could have got through between the curtain side tray and semi.
It looked as though the blue DAF was trying to help push him backwards down the narrow street lined with cars?

Lang, will we see you at Yarra Glen on 12th November?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 6 months ago #187452 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic A day in the life UK Truck
Sorry to miss the show but the trip through in the Morris in early December will be my final Victorian fix for 2017.

Lang

More
6 years 6 months ago #187472 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic A day in the life UK Truck
It doesn't matter what you're doing, 14 hours is a long day!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 6 months ago #187553 by tim
Replied by tim on topic A day in the life UK Truck
In that sort of territory with that many drops I'd say it was a full day . It's something you'd have to get used too. Linehaul drivers would'nt like it at all is my guess. More than one drop is a pain in the butt.

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
6 years 6 months ago #187565 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic A day in the life UK Truck
A lot of skill involved there and probably getting paid minimal wages.

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds