Skip to main content

Hino's eaton synchro

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187668 by wedgetail84
1/5 Synchro has gone in the eaton synchro in our '04 Hino GH1J. I think this is the second time in 320k (the previous at about 100k) but can't find records. Spoke to heavy trans on Sydney who say they can do it no worries at between $2k and $7k. But a local truck mechanic says ditch it and put a RR in as they all do this, parts are getting hard to get (it's a euro box with eaton badge?) and is expensive to work on. He says he thinks you can buy kits for this truck (engine is j08c).

Can anyone confirm this? I assume it's just the linkage that would be needed? Think mounts are on FW housing and it looks like SAE2. I have read comments on here in an older post about synchro going on 1/5 so we're not alone clearly.... so thinking long term it could be cheaper to RR it rather than keep doing synchros.

What can you expect to pay for a recon 6610 (I assume that's what I'd be looking for or would it need to be bigger - truck has a lazy axle and regularly carries 14t of hay or cattle on rough roads, j08c is pushing out 250hp if it's lucky, not sure on torque). Has anyone here done the conversion?
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by wedgetail84.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187671 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Hino's eaton synchro
Have not done the conversion but a couple of thoughts on the RR
While hunting for a #3 SAE housing for a RR 610 found that there are a couple of different versions of the #3, bolt pattern is standard but the counter bore varies.
Not sure on the 6610 but the 610 did not come with a SAE3 option.
Just need to measure from center to center on 2 of the flywheel housing bolts to determine SAE size.
SAE 3 is 4 3/8" and SAE2 is 4 3/4"
Have PDF of the Euro Eatons if that would help ID what you have and it's torque rating, PM me an email address

Cheers Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Blackduck59. Reason: Incorrect info

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 6 months ago #187672 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Hino's eaton synchro
FWIW
jist think n

Eye kno eye shouldn't do th@
bin thinkn the 610 may B a 10 speed with a 600 ft pound torque capacity n a 250HP may B above the 600 ft/LB
for a longer life Y not fit a RTO910 with 900 ft lb torque capacity ......or better
probly more 900 or 950 series around than a 600

cya
§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 6 months ago #187681 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Hino's eaton synchro
OOPS, Disregard my earlier post, Brain dead this morning, RR610 DID NOT come with SAE3. The Housing I scored has no ID on it. I required SAE3 to suit my engine
Swishy you are correct in the 600 ft/lb rating for the 610, currently safe for my unit as it is only 440 ft/lb.
Have no idea what the HIno would have.
Cheers Steve

More
6 years 6 months ago #187684 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Hino's eaton synchro
thanks guys, made a few calls today and still might be an option. Will have to get a quote on repairs to the synchro box to decide I think, but if it's near the upper end it would make sense IMO. Truck trans will do a recon 11010 for $5500 exhange with the synchro - they said eg an RTO910 was a very old box and couldn't quote on it but the 110 series was a newer version and the same price anyway. I'd just have to give clutch linkage/trans brake and shift linkage some serious thought... Anyone have anything to add there?

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187686 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Hino's eaton synchro
Just wondering how often you changed the oil in your hino eaton box ?
I'm pretty sure some of the older model FG GHs come out with a RR,
remember seeing the odd one advertised while looking for a GH myself.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by dno.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187689 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Hino's eaton synchro
Every 40k km, and it's always pretty clean. But the first time it went was at 100k, when they first got it (before my time). Yeah I think earlier ones had RRs... engine spec is 752 ft lbs so that's 600 series boxes out

More
6 years 6 months ago #187691 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Hino's eaton synchro
They recommend every 12months with mineral or every 3 years with
the full synthetic, I have a feeling a lot of boxes are not being filled with
the correct oil, I've been using a Caltex mineral fluid specifically designed
for the 6109.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187694 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Hino's eaton synchro
Pretty sure the single drives all had the syncro box and the bogie drives had the RR. We have a bogie at work with an original 6 series 13 speed. Bloody awful lot of linkages and parts that wear between the knob and the box. Cable might be the way to go? Most old trucks end up with a RR in them for good reason. ;)

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Southbound.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187766 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Hino's eaton synchro
I drove a lot of these Hinos with the 9 speed syncro Eaton and the same thing would happen; Syncro on gear 1 and 5 fails and if ignored it will start jumping out of that gear.
If you get onto it early enough the box may be able to be repaired but I think if left too long the gears get chewed up.
Would an Allison auto or the Hino 6 speed be an easier replacement.?

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds