More
6 years 1 month ago #191635 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Top Trucks and Drivers
That Tatra test looked impossible.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #191636 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Top Trucks and Drivers
The Russian and Eastern Block countries have been far ahead of the west in cross country and off-road vehicles for 70 years . The west thinks power and technology is the answer while the Russians look at suspension and traction all achieved with lower power and greater simplicity.

If offered a $500,000 Kenworth oil field truck or $100,000 Kamaz /ZIL/TATRA vehicle for serious off road work in the Siberian Tundra or Sahara Sand Sea I know which one I would choose.

Lang

More
6 years 1 month ago #191637 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Top Trucks and Drivers

Lang wrote: The Russian and Eastern Block countries have been far ahead of the west in cross country and off-road vehicles for 70 years .

Anyone who has owned a Lada Niva could attest to that .
Had 3 of'em over the years and they ran circles around the jappers in the rough ... and not all that bad on the road as well.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #191640 by Lang
Eddy

The Russians can sure pick a good Italian designed vehicle to put into production. The little family cars were also FIATs built under licence also - still lots around in Russia.

Even if they are a FIAT my old man had one years ago and as you say, what a little beauty.

I will have to look it up but I am sure that is why FIAT/ALFA/Lancia rusted while you watched in the 70's. FIAT took a huge part of their royalties in Russian steel. Apparently great stuff for complicated pressing shapes but a disaster in its alloy process attracting rust like a magnet.

Just found the story.

AvtoVAZ (LADA to westerners) was a new company set up in partnership with FIAT in 1966. They produced the long standing LADA 1200 and 1300 based on the FIAT 124 car.

The Russians designed the NIVA (with FIAT design input) using many FIAT 127 car parts. It was a highly successful vehicle and superior in handling and off road performance to such vehicles as Landrover. It defeated even Range Rover in many areas

After various buy outs and company amalgamations General Motors holds the name LADA (Viking for Longship) but the Russians hold the same name written in Cyrillic script.

AvtoVAZ are producing more modern vehicles successfully today and are owned by Renault-Nissan .

UPDATE

In 2017 Nissan withdrew from the deal, selling their stake to Renault who now own 75% of the shares. AvtoVAZ (LADA) are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world producing nearly half a million vehicles last year.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
6 years 1 month ago #191689 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Top Trucks and Drivers
Hello Lang
Two days have passed since you drew a comparison between Russian technology and overpriced American pretend Trucks
And not even a whisper from our mate in Wantirna
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
6 years 1 month ago #191698 by jeffo
Can't keep up with all the take overs.
Renault holds controlling interest in Nissan cars and I was reading a recent UD road test only to find UD was now controlled by Volvo.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #191701 by Lang
This is a few years out of date buts gives you the idea. They all own bits of each other.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Lang.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 1 month ago #191704 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Top Trucks and Drivers
RexMan
Gudday m8

Me think the Russkies knew which side of the bread twaz butterd on
thort me red sum where they grabd all the GM 2 Stroke diesels n rights n ideas to continue on with the best donk evr bilt
th@'z ..... Y ..... U ..... C ..... UToob videos of the Rushkys power n on with out many failures
Lang m80
RE: They all own bits of each other

U nevr kno
Hooooz up Hoo... n ..... Hooz pay n the rent
LOL

cya
§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 1 month ago #191708 by jeffo
Swishy, would that explain why Volvo bought into UD, to obtain their 2-stroke intellectual property.

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds