Skip to main content

Mercedes purchase advice

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201584 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Mercedes purchase advice
Just had a drive in a Kenworth K125 with a crane but flat tray thinking I might have been wrong in my assessment. After driving the smooth Scania earlier in the day there is no doubt you need a motor cross riders lumbar belt in an unloaded Kenworth. These older well-worn Kenworths do not have any bodywork, only 4,000 independent rivets flying in close formation.

Back to the EU search.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201587 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Mercedes purchase advice
It probably the V6......for some reason Benz refused to turbo any of the V series,and they are all a bit prone to black smoke.............I worked on a couple ,very expensive bits,and the motor is full of special multipoint bolts done up unbelieveably tight.....Working on the crank bearings was a nightmare too.......bolt on counterweights dont leave any space to do anything.............Volvo straight 6s are a picnic compared to a Benz V series.......Couldnt you get a V12 as well............I know MAN used the same motors,except nothing was interchangeable between them..............anyhoo ,all in the distant past now.........If I was lookin for a Truck ,it would be a FL7 or 10,ex brick truck............Mate of mine sold his old F7 eight wheeler with a Palfinger PK 10500 crane for $7500 registered and current machinery ........said there was no interest ,and everyone said the crane was too old.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201588 by Lang
Thanks John.

After the F86 I would go for a Volvo again any day and sit comfortably watching TV into my old age each night while poor old Swishy heads off to the chiropractor. Can't see any on the market. Most brick trucks seemed to have rear or central cranes which are no good for my purposes.

Lang

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 9 months ago #201589 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Mercedes purchase advice
LangMan
gudday m8

RE:no doubt you need a motor cross riders lumbar belt in an unloaded Kenworth

The bounce n up n down in Kenny helps keep U awake n alert
Not like them 'V'Bussessessss th@ rock U to sleep n off the road n in a ditch

also KW have a better sesale Value ........... not like them 'V'POS th@ the only value iz wot the China scrap boat will pay = SFA

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 9 months ago #201590 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Mercedes purchase advice
When the FL10 was new,driver Ernie used to get motion sick from the cab rocking about ,he had to go back to the Leader 8 wheeler with extra front spring leaves,but then Jack found some seasickness patches you stuck behind the ear,and Ernie could go back to the FL.,which he drove for the next 10 years.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201592 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Mercedes purchase advice
That is starting to get up there in the high off the ground and wont get any easier as time goes by. So keep an eye out for one more user friendly. Can't think of any truck that will carry your loads that aren't a bit off the ground but that one sounds over the top.
I certainly wont suggest the use of the crane to load passenger/s into cab so that will not be mentioned. We had a ride issue too with Lorry. He rode like a buck board and we looked at all sorts of replacement seats and then it was pointed out at a rego inspection that the front springs had passed their use by date. A new set installed and it is a completely different truck to ride in and drive. Might even go real mad and buy a set of shocks too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201594 by Lang
That was the beauty of the Volvo F86, it was so low in the entry your grandma (or maybe the grandma I am married to) can easily climb aboard.

I recently saw an ex rubbish truck low-level Mack that would be perfect to enter for us coffin-dodgers but the blokes said the chassis is just welded to the axle and the only saving grace was the dumpster body holding it down to help them hang on for their 8 seconds until the bell.

This is what I need:

Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201598 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Mercedes purchase advice
Lang m80
me thinx U need to start look n fir a common truck th@ there is a few for sale
have a boopeep @ a Hook lift bin truck
let ure imagination run wild
have a bin with out sides .... only the front wall to hook onto......add a winch to drag on ded stuff
have a bin with a roof n fitted out like a big sin bin caravan n swap bodies az U choose

All the above info TAX free 2 day

www.trucksales.com.au/items/trucks-categ...category/?Sort=Price

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Swishy.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201599 by Lang
Yes Swishy

I have been down that road before. I just want a turnkey operation that will easily load and lift.

I think we all have been through the bargain fixer-upper process. Quite apart from the stuffing around you finish up spending $20,000 to produce a nice $10,000 truck - and that is not counting your time and labour.

Here is my advice from 50 years of rebuilding maybe 30 vehicles:

It is ALWAYS cheaper and certainly faster to buy someone else's work.

Never in the field of vehicle restoration has a project come out faster, cheaper or easier than expected.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, Southbound

More
4 years 9 months ago #201603 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Mercedes purchase advice
WOW Lang, I thought you were only after 1 truck, not a fleet! ;)

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.668 seconds