Skip to main content

Air brake adjustment

More
14 years 1 month ago #20991 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Air brake adjustment
That proportioning valve sounds like a good idea and would easy pay for itself in tyres. I used to tow one trailer ( fortunately someone warned me about it) where the first axle of the tri would lock easily when empty. When you looked in the mirrors and saw smoke coming off the tyres it was natural to assume they were all locking and ease off the brakes. No, the only way to stop this one was to press harder and the next two axles would do the job and eventually pull you up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #20992 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Air brake adjustment
The only proportionong valves I've seen on european crap have been expensive and not too reliable. I reckon Ron has hit the nail on the head, Drivers driving trucks like cars. The first axle of a tri is prone to locking up if the turntable hieght is high. At the end of the day, it's the old maxim,- Good Drivers don't need brakes, and bad drivers don't deserve them.

More
14 years 1 month ago #20993 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Air brake adjustment
G'day Bigcam, I think your maxim could use an addition "Pommy trucks don't have them".

More
14 years 1 month ago #20994 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Air brake adjustment
Ray, I think you could add any Australian International to that list as well, though by the time the T lines came out, they had it figured. Some of the older smaller ones with hydraulic brakes would only just past a brake test when they where brand new.

More
14 years 1 month ago #20995 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Air brake adjustment
That ADR 35, I mentioned elsewhere made them upgrade the brakes. I reckon that airbag trailers do not seem to stop as well as the old ones when empty, maybe more prone to axle hop.

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds