Skip to main content

2001 STERLING DIAGNOSTIC PLUG LOCATION

More
4 years 4 months ago #204434 by Indiana
Does anyone know the location for the diagnostic/scan tool connection plug on a 2001 sterling with a c-15 cat engine please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204437 by 600Dodge
Unscrew the dash panels and have a look in behind, they weren't always mounted on the outside in those days.
If you can't see it behind the dash it might be on the firewall.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by 600Dodge.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204438 by Lang
Did that truck actually have scanning ability in 2001? From my reading it appears it may have.

I had a 2007 Landcruiser 105 (the very last of them). It had a Diagnostic plug but I could not get a reading. Investigations were made and it turned out the wiring looms in the last couple of years of 100 series were for the upcoming 200 series so my plug went nowhere.

Just saying, if a "sophisticated" vehicle from a cutting edge company like Toyota did not have the ability until the mid 2,000's maybe your 2001 Sterling was still on manual external diagnostic machines?

Looks like it might be on left side under dash or in foot well. Could be behind a panel.

This might help
www.drive-eld.com/2019/03/24/identifying-diagnostic-port-type/

And this
www.repairmanuals.co/products/sterling-t...er-fault-code-reader

And This
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co...necteur.dlc&hl=en_US

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204439 by Indiana
The truck is flashing STOP ENGINE on dash then shutting engine down so I just assumed it would have an error code somewhere and some way of reading it. Have already pulled the bottom parts of the dash apart and also fuse box on left mudguard and cant see anything

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204441 by hayseed
With the Ignition "ON" Hold the cruise control button "ON" your Stop & check engine lights should flash a Code.
Count the Flashes (of the Stop Engine/ Check engine Light), you should get a Morse type Code..EG 152 - High Oil pressure

Or at least that's how It works with a Cummins..

www.alliedsystems.com/pdf/Wagner/Forms/80/80-1042.pdf

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by hayseed.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204442 by Lang
I think Hayseed is on to something. When I looked up Sterling Diagnosis it said it was an internal fault finding and checking system not external reader. looks like you will have to find an owners or workshop manual to decipher the instrument panel codes (and find which buttons to push to get them)

I had a 2000 4x4 F-150 which was on the crossover period between nothing and full reader. It gave codes on the reader as numbers not in words, often in groups. The workshop manual was in two huge books each 500 pages long - 75% electrics and computer. There was page after page of fault finding with the readouts and endless sequences of buttons to push to get more numbers as you worked your way through.

Loved the truck but no way would I trust all that crap out in the desert. I suspect you might have a similar hard road to travel to get your final answers.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204450 by 600Dodge
All C series Cats have diagnostic ability, you may need an adaptor to connect with the C15 in a Sterling.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204457 by werkhorse
Being an ex Ford/Sterling mechanic.... But a looong time ago... My head tells me that Seed is on the money... Flashed coded tell you the number which you reference to a chart... Which I have buried deep in the collection somewhere

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: Indiana

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204458 by hayseed
Werk, that link in my post is for list of C15 Codes..

Indiana,(upon reflection) I'm digging into the memory bank here, but i think once you turn the cruise switch on you then fiddle with the set/resume switch to get the code. some had a seperate Diagnostic switch on the dash..

Edit, when your "Stop engine" light is Flashing (before Shutting Down), count the flashes. As I'm reckon It'll be flashing whatever the active code Is.. I think..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Indiana

More
4 years 4 months ago #204470 by Indiana
I have just found out that the plug is located behind the passenger seat on the rear door pillar. Also to receive flash codes you push resume on the cruise control. I cant find any correlation between the flash code and numbers on the list that you have a link to though. thanks everyone for your help
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds