Skip to main content

Bush fire brigade

More
4 years 3 months ago #205412 by overnite
Bush fire brigade was created by overnite
Considering that 3 fierys have lost their lives in current bfb rollovers, maybe it’s time for all bfb trucks to be fitted with minespec cab protection.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205423 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Bush fire brigade
Or maybe trucks shouldn't be taken into a lot of these spots anymore

The bush tracks arent kept big wide and opened right up any more

We never seemed to have fire trucks rolling over not so long ago

What has changed

There was no taining in those days for drivers
But forestry roads were a lot better maintained and CFA and RFS crews were mainly made up with people that were well versed in off road driving

Just saying

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
4 years 3 months ago #205427 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Bush fire brigade
Pretty sure that the Bloke killed at Albury (Jinjellic) was on the Back of the Truck Manning a Hose at the Time... BISTBC

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 3 months ago #205429 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Bush fire brigade

hayseed wrote: Pretty sure that the Bloke killed at Albury (Jinjellic) was on the Back of the Truck Manning a Hose at the Time... BISTBC

In the articles and coverage I have heard they say he was in the Refuge Area behind the cab. I tried to find a photo earlier of what the refuge area looked like on theses trucks but couldn't find an example.

Terry

Terry

More
4 years 3 months ago #205430 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Bush fire brigade
When Sam Mc Paul was killed near Albury, he was travelling in the cab of the fire truck which was hit by a Vortex wind which actually flipped the truck and it roll, killing him instantly. There was another RFS vehicle travelling behind and it too was flipped by the wind.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205440 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Bush fire brigade
I stand Corrected..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 3 months ago #205445 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Bush fire brigade
Another of the crashes resulted from tree falling in the path of (or on, don't have the detail) truck in convoy. Would take good nerves to plough straight into it and not attempt evasive action. Half full tank will roll any truck swerving.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205447 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Bush fire brigade
The modern CFA trucks look very high, but guess their engineers
have taken that into account. As Mammoth said, partly full tank
can shift weight quickly especially on sloped tracks etc.
No disrespect intended, just an observation. So sad, Paul.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205448 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Bush fire brigade
This round of bush fires here in Oz has to be the worst I have ever seen and heard of via radio and tv. They appear to be more ferrocious this time round and this is quite possibly becaue of the conditions with being in a drought and lack of hazzard reduction, I will stand corrected on the second if told any different.
Just watching the the fires on tv demonstrates how bad and fast they are travelling and with the latest information offered to the general public about these fire storms that do create their own weather pattern around themselves and seeing those fire willy willys strt up and the end result is these strong winds called a Vortex. These effect planes in the sky and obviously if you are on the ground and in the way you are in for a wild ride.
The last 3 days here small fires had been starting up in what seemed to me to be a bit of a circular pattern. Turned out a 19 yo was arrested for strating thiose ones. Another larger one started by strong winds blowing a tree onto ppower lines in the State Forrest just up the road which was bought un der control in around 4 hours along with water bombers, 3 of them and 2 spotter planes plus a bull dozer operator worked all night pushing a trail and fire break into place. Today we were watching the planes fly over us, first the spotter then minutes later a bloody fire engine siren sounds from the plane when he is ready to dump the water. The specs so far for the 3 bombers is 800,000 litres of reclaimed water, so that sounds like the treatment works are being emptied and they are bombing the fires with flying turds. All planes here have come from the Newcastle area and we re thankful for their dedication.
I posted today that it is an exciting thing to see being carried out but very sad that it is happening. We re once again smoked in here but that is nothing compared to what others on the south coast have been dealt with and in other states For thise in amongst the fires please stay safe and Dee and I are thinking of you.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205456 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Bush fire brigade
Hi all,
Just a quick message. Our club engine shed which we have had at the Old Mogo Town Tourist Park for many years was totally destroyed in the Tuesday fires. All engines, tractors and other stuff is gone.

Photos will follow when and if I get the chance, as we are at home preparing for the arrival of the expected fire tomorrow. Taking all precautions but no risks.

Good luck to everyone effected by the current situation and hopefully I be able to give you an update. on Sunday.

Cheers,
Steve.

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds