Skip to main content

Chassisdrawing and -information?

More
3 years 10 months ago #211284 by DieselFan
I need for an upcoming project some information about an australian 45' refrigerated trailer.

I need a chassisdrawing (PDF) for that trailer in years 80' - 90' and which year did they change the suspension from leaf spring to air suspension?

Thanks in advance.

Clemens

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211290 by mammoth
Trailers tend to be the forgotten part of trucking so there is little documented. Dennis Brooks in his monograph records the transition from 41' to 45' as 1992. In your period McGrath/Freighter and others ere active however Maxicube/Maxitrans came to dominate the field. The transition from bogie to triaxle was also happening. Air bags while very popular have never actually replaced conventional springs. Refrigerated trailers don't have a chassis as such - they tend to be a firbreglass composite box sat on a sub-chassis on the rear and a tow plate attached to the front. Due to the lack of conventional chassis they don't get on well with heavy forklifts and have been known to fold in half if abused.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211326 by Mrsmackpaul
If its 45 foot Im guessing it won't be any older than the late 90's

Good luck finding anything on them at all, very little information about trailers seems to exist

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 10 months ago #211333 by hayseed
As mammoth stated 45' trailers became legal in 1992. Overall length was still 17.5M though.
Mid 90's overall length limits were relaxed to 19M, & from 23M to 25m for B doubles...
There were a few 22 pallet (45') trailers sneaking around Prior to '92 though..;)

Diesel fan send an Email to these guys. www.maxitrans.com/

Pretty sure They would be able to help you..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 10 months ago #211337 by JOHN.K.
You often see these trailers used as storage on farms ,as they are lovely and cool inside on a hot day......they generally only last about 5 years in service ,before fibreglass rot,cracking,and problems with the steel subframes shows up.....they sell for a couple of hundred sometimes at auction.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211338 by mammoth
I suspect Clemens might have difficulty getting (and keeping) one home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DieselFan

More
3 years 10 months ago #211349 by DieselFan
Many thanks at all for your response.

@mammoth: yes, you are right.

So I hope to get some more information by/on the recommended way.

I will report.

Clemens

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds