Skip to main content

Dangerous level crossings

More
14 years 2 months ago #21343 by atkipete
We have certainly had some bad accidents at level crossings in recent years and if a truck is involved everyone is quick to blame the truck driver. However many crossings are still an accident waiting to happen. If I was turning left here in a truck, I would be busy looking for pedestrians, cars undertaking, trying not to block the crossing etc etc,
Now one of these five signs, which you are unlikely to see if turning left is the big problem.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 2 months ago #21344 by
Replied by on topic Re: Dangerous level crossings
Hey Pete, all you got to do is stick the nose of the truck under the red and white boom and stop it from coming down completely. The boom is balanced and won't harm the paint work at all. By doing this, it stops the contacts from completing the circuit and then triggers the signals both ways to go to red, all trains are then obliged to immediately stop. The signals will stay red until somebody raises the boom manually and allows you to either back out, or go forward, then when the boom is lowered fully, the circuit is completed and then the signal system will go back to normal.

Dont ask how I know, all I'll say is, this does work.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 months ago #21345 by Swishy

RE:all trains are then obliged to immediately stop
Not down here in Vic on the suburban lines
many a time I've been an inch too far n the boom has cum down on the hood of KW the trains just slo n keep go n

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 2 months ago #21346 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Dangerous level crossings

RE:all trains are then obliged to immediately stop
Not down here in Vic on the suburban lines
many a time I've been an inch too far n the boom has cum down on the hood of KW the trains just slo n keep go n

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

Sounds like someone is up for a new pair of glasses ;D..Fills you with conferdence ,as i had an eye test a couple of months back read all the way down to about the second last line .Optomitrist then asked if i drive trucks ,so i said yes ,and what did i fail??? . She said no . at your age as a truck driver all you have to do is read read the top line :o .So it seems you can be almost legaly blind and still be able to drive a truck!!! . ian .

14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #21347 by
Gday

In the UK there are many crossings that do not even have a barrier or gate, just traffic lights.

There is one right in the middle of Southampton which crosses Canute Road.
It passes the 'Titanic' passenger terminal.
It is used only for Goods traffic to the Docks, but has no form of barrier at all.

The crossing is at the end of the shadow across the road and is marked only by the red/white striped signs with lights.

My personal view is that the two forms of transport should never cross at the same level.

This is a recipe for an accident waiting to happen.

We have loads of accidents in the UK and our trains move much faster than the ones in Oz.
( they are usually late though ) ;)

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #21348 by atkipete
I certainly try not to get stuck on crossings but in some cases there is not room to stop a semi before or after the crossing because of another set of lights. The major problem at this one is the low clearance, most of our trucks are 4.3 and some 4.6metres. I have always assumed 4.3 at least across a level crossing but to do that here may result in an electrified truck.
I understand what you are saying Greenie but I think that only works where the trains are traveling slow. if a truck hit these wires, went up in smoke, blocking the tracks the next express train would just pile into it.
Am surprised to see a crossing like that in the UK Roland, thought they would have been more safety conscious. I heard that,because of the privatization of the UK rail network, numerous people have to get involved in even the smallest railway track project.

More
14 years 2 months ago #21349 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Lardners track
Here is another level crossing that is difficult to cross safely in a truck. Lardners Track near Warragul, just off the old Princes Highway. If a truck is stopped at the stop sign the back of it will be fouling the crossing, scrape marks on the road suggest school buses and low loaders bottom out here.
I took these photos about 12 months back and not sure if anything has been done in the meantime.

More
14 years 2 months ago #21350 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Dangerous level crossings
Its been like that for years. I don't thnk it will chnage in a hurry. It doesn't need to be a semi to block it. I have seen a car with a 6x4 trailer do it so my Inter would as well

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

14 years 2 months ago #21351 by
Most Level Crossings are hooked up to the track circuit, if a freight train of 2,500 tonne, 1km long is doing 90kmh and that circuit starts a bit more than say 500m away from Xing then that train aint gunna stop because of an obstruction, Trains are, with very few exceptions stopped by the DRIVER applying the brake. jeff

More
14 years 2 months ago #21352 by Andy Wright
Glad you pointed out where that crossing was, Roland. Wouldn't have picked it otherwise.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds