Skip to main content

Vehicle Standards - Mass on axles

More
3 years 8 months ago #212935 by Mrsmackpaul

Lang wrote: That's a really good chart. When the two are read together you should never set a foot wrong.

Do they have a nice clear axle load chart better than my screen shot of the federal ADR one?

There surely is a page for rigid vehicles as well.

Lang

Im not sure the chart Vic Rhodes put up is spot on as its for a PBS vehicle which Im fairly sure is different than a normal registered truck

From my understanding and it is most likely wrong the PBS scheme (Performance Based Standards) is for trucks to operate outside the normal legal requirements and to do this they need to show why and spend a whole of coin on permits and can then do this on gazetted routes providing their trucks meet a certain criteria

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212937 by Vic Rhodes

Mrsmackpaul wrote:

Lang wrote: That's a really good chart. When the two are read together you should never set a foot wrong.

Do they have a nice clear axle load chart better than my screen shot of the federal ADR one?

There surely is a page for rigid vehicles as well.

Lang

Im not sure the chart Vic Rhodes put up is spot on as its for a PBS vehicle which Im fairly sure is different than a normal registered truck

From my understanding and it is most likely wrong the PBS scheme (Performance Based Standards) is for trucks to operate outside the normal legal requirements and to do this they need to show why and spend a whole of coin on permits and can then do this on gazetted routes providing their trucks meet a certain criteria

Paul

Try this one Paul..

www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201707-0577-common...les-combinations.pdf

More
3 years 8 months ago #213774 by Mrsmackpaul
I have been thinking about this for some time and am at a bit of a loss
If I had a quad axle trailer.from say the 70's according to the information here I can only carry 20 ton
If I have a tri I can only carry 20 ton
My older trailers have no compliance plates on them and have never had a tare weight or a ATM plated or ever recorded

The maximum ATM they will give me is 20 ton on a tri axle trailer like this
I have never worried about this as it would be impossible to attain if I was that weight or not
So if I had a old quad trailer from back in the day that was built to carry some big weight could I still legally carry this weight
After all Im still using it as designed and its still original as designed
Can I still put the 27 ton on the quad or do these trailers just fail to meet any requirements these days and only new fangled trailers with ABS and road friendly suspension and GPS satellite tracking be the only ones

If something was built and registered and legal surely it still should be

Were would I find old axle loading limits from back in the 70's ?

I can find moderm ones on the interweb easy enough but older stuff is harder to find

Older quad axle floats had all axles spaced evenly unlike Swishy's quad on the previous page and never had road friendly suspension fitted
What happens to them ?

Any ideas or thoughts

I reckon about 33 ton on those old quads was legal or certianly in the low 30's or am I just dreaming ?

Paul

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213775 by Mrsmackpaul
Something a little like this
Boomerang
Has a GVM of 55 a tare 14.5 and is 1975
Is this still legal ?

Paul

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213777 by Lang
Paul

I think the rules are in two parts.

What the manufacturer puts on as a vehicle structural limit and what the Government load regulations say. Always the lesser of the two.

As you know the regulations have changed a few times over the years and the States have all come in to line. I think the day of trying to squeeze more out of what seemed like ridiculous and uncoordinated regulations is at an end. Spread axles, pusher axles, drop down axles doing nothing but getting around the rules now have limited application.

Rex and Swishy will be right on top of this for abnormal load vehicles (I am sure there is a clear guideline somewhere)

With the standardised regulations they seem to have recognised the more capable modern vehicles eg single axles going from 8 ton to 9 ton etc.

I will try to see if I can find something for you in the rules. Possibly you have been caught up in the standardisation with your fourth axle which no longer gives you an advantage?

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213780 by Mrsmackpaul
Lang I have older trailers and they have never been plated, as in a compliance plate
I have never worried about this and just pay the bill amd have never had a drama
However if something went horribly wrong one day and the authorities went thru me with a fine tooth comb Im not sure how I would go
I have never been done for overloading, ever
Thats more luck than good planning as I have been weighed and no one has ever said anything to at road side checks or weigh bridges
In QLD all trailers older than 76 (I think) had no compliance plates at all and weights were formulated on axle groups etc

However with the older people now almost all gone at rego departments the younger crew only worry what the computer says not whats right

Paul

More
3 years 8 months ago #213784 by Sarge
Paul, speaking with my former hat on, if it was not on your rego certificate it could not happen, though I was very far from an expert. The only change to that was the standard overload permit that owners could get but that was only for a tone or two I think. And if you had an anomaly that went in your favour, tell no one, because once written it was to your good luck.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 8 months ago #213785 by Swishy
4 those th@ can ..... or like reading
jist 4 U

www.nhvr.gov.au/files/c2016g00971-multis...-notice-2016-no1.pdf

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST