Skip to main content

Road train in Sydney

More
2 years 5 months ago #228538 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Road train in Sydney

How long are the trains with tri drive tri trailer, tri dolly and tri trailer doing coal on Mt Ousley? Just wondering.
I was told 28.5m.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #228544 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Road train in Sydney
Thanks Spanners, they sure look longer than that. Haven't been up the coast for a while, but I seem to remember some are twin steer as well aren't they?

More
2 years 5 months ago #228581 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Road train in Sydney
I have not seen a Linfox twin steer on the coal but there are a lot of different truck trailer combinations getting around. The more axles the more payload.

More
2 years 5 months ago #228607 by Tassie Dan
Replied by Tassie Dan on topic Road train in Sydney
There are becoming very popular down here in tassie with toll and sea road starting the trend but now there are cement tanker sets and logging skels kicking around too. The government is spending a heap on fixing up the bridges on the on the highways so they can cart more weight too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #228608 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Road train in Sydney
Slightly off topic but not really!

Possiblyh a year ago in BIg Rig mag I read that in WA they were trialling running trucks on the open roads tailgating each other. This was from memory to save fuel so the lead truck punched the air and the rest followed along. As for steering again from memory the following trucks just stuck to the tail gate of the truck in front.
Was this a BS thing or did I read it all wrong? That would make for a very long road train to pass.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 5 months ago #228614 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Road train in Sydney
Sounds like what all the overnighters did through the Putty in the late 60s early 70s
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Swanny

More
2 years 5 months ago #228646 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Road train in Sydney
Spotted a road train entering the M2 heading East off Pennant Hills Road today. One 40'container on the A trailer and one 20'on the B with room for a second.

Pointed it out to my wife and she just looked at me with a sad look on her face.

I think I need to get a life, or a new Wife!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 4 months ago #228727 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Road train in Sydney

Slightly off topic but not really!

Possiblyh a year ago in BIg Rig mag I read that in WA they were trialling running trucks on the open roads tailgating each other. This was from memory to save fuel so the lead truck punched the air and the rest followed along. As for steering again from memory the following trucks just stuck to the tail gate of the truck in front.
Was this a BS thing or did I read it all wrong? That would make for a very long road train to pass.

They have spoken about this type of thing in the US for some years, I think the advent of driverless trucks and they follow the first truck no need to steer accelerate or brake and follow atmaybe just a foot or so behond the other one

It's called "Platooning" I think, dunno, it was on the Mack truck forum some years back

www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/59795-platoo...ogy-ford-otosan-avl/

www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/44535-6-truc...latooning-challenge/

www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/47072-two-tr...verage-fuel-savings/

Might not of been a few feet between the trucks at a quick glance

However the concept is there and if it is fully workable it will no doubt be adapted by the big companies pretty quickly

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 4 months ago #228729 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Road train in Sydney
Seem to recall Mercedes were looking into this, the truck behind was controlled by the one in front via wi-fi or something but I think they gave up on it.
I know I wouldn't feel comfortable just sitting there while the thing went along by itself

More
2 years 4 months ago #228750 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Road train in Sydney
It would be boring if you were behind the wheel of any following truck. Similar to flying a plane through thick fog or clouds, just waiting for something to crash into in a blink of an eye.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds