Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Bandag Process 07 Mar 2021 12:08 #219543

• Lang
  • Lang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 4804
This is so labour intensive how do they possibly compete with brand new Chinese tyres?

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Bandag Process 07 Mar 2021 15:59 #219547

• rex
  • Thank you received: 95
Hi Lang
I notice the tyre is a Bridgestone in my view a close second to Michelin. Bridgestone have a buy back arrangement form memory about $20.00 per tyre this mens a saving on the new tyre of $40.00 when you factor in the cost of disposal. While we don't recap and have a contract with Michelin I would take a recapped Bridgestone before a Chinese tyre.
Given the low cost of the case even factoring in the cost for the tyre to be dumped and the risk of separation because of the repair I think the repair may have more to do with showing how extensive the inspection and repair is undertaken during the process.
Rex
Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

The Bandag Process 07 Mar 2021 16:05 #219549

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1111
I did notice how relaxed the process was being done for the demonstration of the video and nearly all retreaders do the same process but most likely with lesser equipment. I would think that when in production not as much time would be put into the process as shown.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

The Bandag Process 08 Mar 2021 09:33 #219567

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 858
Bandag is owned By Bridgestone ..Hence the Buyback Deal on their cases.

A Bandag Recap will wear better & last Longer than Most (if not All) Chinese Tyres.. On a Cents per Km basis they are(last time I worked It out) about half a cent pre Km cheaper than buying Chinese Tyres wearing them out & throwing them away.!
However you need to put a concerted & focused effort into you Tyre maintenance & Management to make Recapping a worthwhile Proposition ..
Most Blokes Couldn't be Bothered..
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

The Bandag Process 21 Mar 2021 10:16 #219919

• jeffo
  • Thank you received: 86
They didn’t mention how back in the day, one letter would be scrubbed off the name after each Bandag.
Dad had some old Michies with no name left.
After that they came back with NWR burnt into the sidewall. (Not worth retreading)
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander

The Bandag Process 21 Mar 2021 10:25 #219920

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 858
Also Jeffo, Bandag Grind the Word "regroovable" off the Case. As that only applied to the Original Tread..

There used to be a Gentleman at Marulan who Loved to write you up for Regrovving retreads..
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

The Bandag Process 21 Mar 2021 12:45 #219925

• jeffo
  • Thank you received: 86
The inspection process shown in the video is space age stuff compared to what was done when tyres had tubes.
Michelin’s used to develop the most amazing crack around the flex area of the sidewall. You could even see the steel in there with really old Bandags.
Once the cheap Jap tyres arrived, you could buy a new Yoko cheaper than a Bandag, so you stayed on new cases.
A stake would ruin a Michelin just as well as a Yoko.
Memory might be fading but I thought they were originally in a pokey little joint on Coronation Drive in Brisy.
Moved out to Rocklea in the late 60’s.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.164 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558