Skip to main content

Who owns who?

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222292 by Lang
Who owns who? was created by Lang
It is a can of worms but the latest ownership scoreboard is below. This is changing daily. Most truck companies own shares in many other companies (often each others shares). There are numerous joint ventures by fierce competitors eg engines and basic platforms.

This is by no means final:

Mercedes own,
Freightliner
Western Star
Mercedes
Fuso
Bharat-Benz
Detroit Diesel

Isuzu
Last of the Independents. Companies like Toyota own small percentages. GM used to own a large percentage but Isuzu bought their shares back 20 years ago.

UD is fully owned by
Isuzu.

VW own,
Scania
MAN

Hino are owned by,
Toyota

Mitsubishi FUSO
Nissan/Renault have shareholdings but note Mercedes above who own 90%.

Volvo Trucks (cars are a separate Chinese owned company) own,
Terex
Renault
Dongfeng
Eicher
Mack
Nova

FIAT
own,
IVECO
Deutz
Magirus
International
Ford Cargo

Paccar own,
DAF
Kenworth
Peterbilt

Caterpillar own
Caterpillar
MWM
Perkins

TATA one of the largest companies in the world has had joint ventures with,
Mercedes
FIAT
Cummins
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Tacho, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222293 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Who owns who?

FIAT[/b] own,
IVECO
Deutz
Magirus
International Not True.. IVECO do (Or I should say Did) Distribute International Trucks here in Aus.. The Volkswagen Group are the largest Shareholder in Navistar (parent of International Trucks)
Ford Cargo

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 10 months ago #222294 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Who owns who?
Now this is interesting. I bet nobody would guess Mexico as the world's biggest truck exporter. 2020 figures. It shows where the manufacturers have spread their factories to.

Mexico: US$26.1 billion (19% of exported trucks)
United States: $17.1 billion (12.4%)
Germany: $10.9 billion (8%)
Japan: $8.5 billion (6.1%)
France: $8.1 billion (5.9%)
Thailand: $7.5 billion (5.5%)
Spain: $5.9 billion (4.3%)
Italy: $5 billion (3.6%)
Turkey: $4.9 billion (3.5%)
Canada: $4.7 billion (3.4%)
Netherlands: $4.4 billion (3.2%)
Argentina: $3.99 billion (2.9%)
Poland: $3.95 billion (2.9%)
China: $3.54 billion (2.6%)
South Africa: $3.53 billion (2.6%)

More
2 years 10 months ago #222295 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Who owns who?
Are Fiat and Iveco not the same company? I always thought they were.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222296 by Lang
No IVECO is a company owned by a wholly owned subsidiary of FIAT.

It is owned by CNH (Case New Holland Group) who as I said are wholly owned by FIAT.

Lang

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222297 by Lang
Hayseed

As I said it is changing hourly. As of late last year Traton (a VW subsidiary) owned only 17% of Navistar. They offered to buy out the rest of the shares towards the end of 2020. The deal has been done in principal but the lawyers are still thrashing out the details. At least that is the latest info I can find.

I have no doubt almost every company listed has very large movements of shareholding between themselves on a regular basis as they ebb and flow with their strategic and commercial aims.

If you look at some of the "independent" joint venture company shareholdings it is mind boggling. You have such outrageous matings as Dongfeng, Kenworth and Toyota looking at solar power or hydrogen engines etc.

The thing to remember with all these companies is the vast majority of shareholders are venture capital companies, banks and in many cases private billionaires. Few of them hold the bulk of their shares in the company name. For instance the three largest shareholders in the biggest selling car company in the world, General Motors, are three individual people nobody has ever heard of outside the corporate world.

Lang

More
2 years 10 months ago #222305 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Who owns who?
Volvo did own UD / Nissan but have recently done a deal with Isuzu or something like that.
Isn't Mercedes owned by parent company Chrysler?

More
2 years 10 months ago #222306 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Who owns who?
I recon that if Fiat totally own CNH, who totally own Iveco, that's good enough for me to make them all just branches of the one company. But that's just me and my simple mind. Don't worry, it will probably have changed in the time it has taken me to type this.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222309 by Lang
Mammoth

As I said it is ever changing.

Nissan UD have long had an engine sharing deal with Mitsubishi Fuso. Volvo owned them for about 10 years but only 6 weeks ago in April this year the sale of the entire UD company from Volvo to Isuzu was finalized.

Chrysler never owned any of Mercedes. They were in a joint venture as Chrysler Daimler for a relatively few years but the Chrysler operation did not come up to scratch so Daimler broke ranks and ceased operations with them. It was supposedly a "merger of equals" in a share exchange deal but Daimler stole Chrysler in the deal and were always the dominant partner.

When Chrysler started to lose money Mercedes Daimler shopped it around and eventually had to pay Cerberus Capital over $400,000,000 to take it off their hands. Cerberus Capital were supposed to invest 5 or 6 billion into Chrysler to get it back on track but failed to live up to the agreement and Chrysler went bankrupt. It went through a bad period but eventually FIAT picked up the pieces.

Chrysler Jeep are now a wholly owned subsidiary of FIAT. Many Americans think FIAT is owned by Chrysler but it is the other way around.

Lang

More
2 years 10 months ago #222310 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Who owns who?
One question on the export figures.

Where are the Swedes?

Did Swishy doctor the figures?

I would have thought they would be way up near the top of the list.

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds