Skip to main content

Hino emission and consumption figures have been manipulated

More
2 years 1 month ago #232739 by V8Ian
Hino has admitted to a Volkswagen type dieselgate, where the emission and consumption figures have been manipulated, under test conditions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #232762 by Mrsmackpaul
I guess that manufacturers are under that much pressure to perform to unrealistic standards that this is bound to happen

The bad news or maybe it's good news, this will depend on what side of the fence you sit

Electric vehicle manufacturers are no different and the range quoted can up to 30% less than what is achievable in the real world
I think even the fuel economy figures for normal petrol and diesel vehicles are probably manipulated to a fare degree as well

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 1 month ago #232764 by Swanny
I had a vehicle involved with the VW diesel gate a 2011 VW Polo diesel.After a few years of ownership I found that the speedometer was out approx 10% when doing 60 kph my road speed was really 54 kph , I then realised why cars tailgated me in 50 kph zones .So I think that was what gave the wrong consumption figures ,I could get figures of 1000 to 1100 km on long trips on a tank of fuel Cap45 litres never spoke to any other VW POLO owners to see if they had similar speedo readings as me

More
2 years 1 month ago #232766 by JOHN.K.
Its been traditional to have speedos that wont get owners speeding fines..............i recall when the VW thingwas going on,it was said there was no Australian laws broken,and people were demanding compensationon the basis of bad publicity overseas......So its quite possible Hino arent breaking any Australian laws either.

More
2 years 1 month ago #232767 by Morris
The law states that a speedo may read up to 10% GREATER than your actual speed but must not read LESS than your actual. (so that you cannot use your speedo reading as an excuse for speeding)

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 1 month ago #232774 by jeffo
Any vehicle with ecu engine management can be tweaked, VW got caught, not as clever as they thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 1 month ago #232776 by hayseed

I think even the fuel economy figures for normal petrol and diesel vehicles are probably manipulated to a fare degree as well

Paul

The figures Quoted on the Windscreen Sticker of every New Car Sold here aver the last 20 odd years, Are Done on a Dyno under laboratory conditions according to an Australian Design Rule (ADR) Standard....!!
They are next to impossible to replicate in real world Conditions..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #232779 by Lang
Can only be some sort of average as it is possible to come up with any figure in real life. You can not expect anything but the best result from a manufacturer within the rules.

Once they start falsifying outside the rules they should suffer the consequences.

I remember going to a CAMS dinner back about 1970 where the subject was Economy Trials which were all the rage in those days. Guest speakers were Shell Chief Engineer and President of the Australian Society of Automotive Engineers.

Their talk was centred on drivers getting the most mileage by driving techniques with no concern for speed or conventional car handling.

Roughly they recommended anything that reduced revs because revs is fuel. Take off in second and as soon as the car will hold it straight into top. Let it lug on hills to almost stall disregarding any normal speed maintenance. Only change down if forced to by shuddering!

About 35mph was the best compromise between slow speed and low consumption being defeated by the extra time on the road and higher speed with less road time being defeated by wind resistance and greater power/fuel requirement.

Switching off or coasting downhill was banned- all cars carried an official observer.

Very slow throttle movement and for scrutineers to check accelerator
pump jets were not blocked off.

Results from the trials had Holdens normally getting 23mpg achieving over 45mpg.

That is the sort of thing in a modernised version that can be done to fudge the figures.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

More
2 years 1 month ago #232780 by JOHN.K.
I said to the engineer from the Qld Transport about noise emissions,and testing for ADR approval which limits it to 95db..........he claimed none of that was enforceable by a State Inspector,and they were only able to use their own judgement about excessive noise............Anyhoo,after I explained to a neighbourhood group that Jake Brakes wernt safety required on any truck,and were being used as nuisance noise makers....the nuisance Kenworth wasnt seen again.............

More
2 years 1 month ago #232785 by cobbadog
When the story broke about VW doing illegal tweaks with the electronics a wonderful picture did the circuit of emails which was a picture of a steam train choofing black smoke out the chimney with VW on the front of the boiler. I think it nailed the whole story very well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds