Skip to main content

No more Inters !!

More
14 years 1 month ago #23188 by atkipete
No more Inters !! was created by atkipete
Just reading an article in "Power Torque" magazine that says production of all International trucks will cease at Dandenong in Oct but they will continue with the Iveco models. The Inter 7600 and 9900 models will be replaced by new Cat / Navistar trucks and I think Cat at Tullamarine will be doing the assembly and sales.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #23189 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: No more Inters !!
Another famous and well-respected name on the way out :'( :'( :'( :'(

Does that mean that photos like this will be worth lots of money? ;) ;) ;) ;)

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz350/vicandval/Line-up.jpg?t=1267262753

More
14 years 1 month ago #23190 by disco
Replied by disco on topic Re: No more Inters !!
Judging by the they put ivecos together I reckon cat would do a better job with the inters,iveco has become very arragant off late

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #23191 by
Replied by on topic Re: No more Inters !!

Judging by the they put ivecos together I reckon cat would do a better job with the inters,iveco has become very arragant off late

Hi Disco,

It would appear that you are not too keen on the quality of IVECO.
They are not my favourite company for political reasons which resulted in the end of Magirus Deutz.

Having said that I feel I must stand up and give them my support.

I did a 5 year apprenticeship with British Leyland and in the late '60s I walked the length of the Leyland Truck production line in Bathgate, Scotland.

In the early '70s it was both the Ford D Series and Transit lines.
In '77 I visited the Seddon Atkinson factory and in the late '70s the Magirus Deutz factory (twice).

Last year I had a short tour of IVECO Dandenong and in my opinion the level of expertise, and attention to quality displayed in that factory is certainly equal and in some areas greater than I have ever seen.

They are very proud of their International AACO and ACCO heritage and products, and the Stralis seems to be doing very well internationally.

I must say these are my personal opinions.

Cheers
RS :)

More
14 years 1 month ago #23192 by disco
Replied by disco on topic Re: No more Inters !!
Roland, the quality out off Dandenong is'nt the problem it used to be, its the product. I drive heavy tow trucks and as any towie will tell you is IVECO is no 1 towed truck and when it comes to warranty their attitude is very arrogant,Igrew up near the factory and 2 cousins work there when it was International, and it aint what it used to be

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #23193 by
Hi Disco

I was standing up for their obvious great interest in quality control procedures in Dandenong, as you said you were not impressed with the way they are put together.
You are saying they are unreliable.
So between us, it would appear they are good at assembling a collection of unreliable parts :-?

This is my only conclusion.
I accept your comments.

Cheers

More
14 years 1 month ago #23194 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: No more Inters !!
The quality control seemed to be pretty good during our tour, volumes are much lower than that plant was putting out in the 70s. Every truck manufacturer gets it wrong sometimes and warranty claims need to be handled professionally and promptly. There are several aspects to this, fixing the immediate problem, working out why it has happened, making sure it doesn't happen again and restoring the customer's faith in the product.

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #23195 by
Gday Pete,

I am surprised to hear that IVECO have a bad reputation for breakdowns.

From what I saw in the factory I feel sure that breakdowns are more likely to be in bought-in components, rather than the way they are assembled.

Cheers

More
14 years 1 month ago #23196 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: No more Inters !!
Well those bought in components are all well regarded products eg Cummins, Eaton, Allison etc etc. In the case of the ACCO they have been building it since 72 and should have any QA problems sorted.

14 years 1 month ago #23197 by
Gday Pete,

I am now completely confused...

Disco says IVECO is the No. 1 towed truck,

You and I both say their QA on assembly is good,

You say the QA on components is tried and tested,

This doesn't add up correctly.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds