Skip to main content

Rockwell diff - loose pinion nut??????

14 years 2 weeks ago #24654 by
Fingers Crossed!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #24655 by theroadbossman
The problem is that even to do this type of work, you need some sort of mechanical shed or workshop - not lying on your back in the driveway. The bloke I use is a south african fellow and he does not like me suggesting things - like "could we use primer on there before the loctite" which did not go down well at all, and met with the reply "...you wannna do it, you do it somewhere else...". He cleaned the surfaces with contact cleaner which is a bit like carby cleaner - dissolves oil but I believe leaves a residue..
My wife thinks its time to find another mechanical shop, I reckon it's time also.
So, as VK3UAO says - fingers crossed.
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #24656 by mammoth
better have every thing that this mech has touched checked out. With that attitude there is no telling what he has done.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #24657 by theroadbossman
Hi mammoth,
It is only in cases of dire need or very big jobs that I would use an external mechanic. Everything that this fellow has done he has completed with me watching every move. He does not like me standing there and watching, but that is a fact of life.
The unfortunate thing Mammoth is that as we get older, we find it harder to do the things that we once did - like a simple job like this. The eyesight fails, the muscles deteriorate and you can't get enough strength to tighten the really big bolts, and so on it goes. It doesn't mean that you don't know how to do it or the right way to do things, but trying to get someone to do it the way you want - the way you will pay them to do it, is indeed the problem.
Thanks for your encouragement tho
cheers
Bretto ;)

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #24658 by kennymopar2
quote . . . If it comes loose again, then we must presume that the threads on the pinion are the problem, and will have to pull the diff and probably replace the pinion

i had a similer problem on the side of the road on a old inter diff the pinion nut kept coming loose . . i bought a battery drill drilled through the nut & pinion (small hole) then hit a steel pin in . . call me a rough nut . . but it worked !

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #24659 by theroadbossman
I'll be honest with ya Kenny, Wendy (my minister of war, finance, and the interior) on hearing that if it comes loose again we'll be up for plenty comes out with "....what is the welder for, making pizza's?..." :D and I gotta tell ya if it comes loose one more time then I may just be tempted to tighten it up just one more time and give it a little tack ::) to make sure it stays there, if'n ya know what I mean.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #24660 by kennymopar2
a man has to do what a man has to do . . . im going on a loooong trip this week to pick up a new toy .a chamberlain 306 tractor ..when the war ministry started whinging that i only think about myself ..i said well this is the only tractor that has a bench seat for made for two :D

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds