Cummins 400 Oil pressure & temperature

More
13 years 8 months ago #24681 by Old AB
What is on the prize list mate????

Keep old inters alive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24682 by bigcam
Tony, us White owners aren't cashed up like you Mack owners, probobly a trip for 2 to the valley, Bretto, hold your fingers out mate.

More
13 years 8 months ago #24683 by theroadbossman
Right at the moment AB, the prize is the same as guessing who won the election! ;)

Which is interesting really, as for weeks we have all heard that work is quiet due to the election; so how does the election being a non-event effct us? Well, this arvo, I get the message that work is quiet "as we are still waiting for an election outcome.." ::)

Just makes me laugh really...

Anyway, henryox's brand new crisp $3 notes are in the mail ;D
cheers,
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
13 years 8 months ago #24684 by NA

Hi all, well after many months of chasing the problem with reducing oil pressure, it came to a crunch on thursday.
The Turbo !
Yep, the (apparently) 30+ year old Schwitzer turbo finally gave up the ghost. On pulling it apart, she was simply worn out to the point where the seals could not hold oil pressure any more and the oil simply shot out the exhaust.
Anyway, $1885 later for a complete brand new turbo, and guess what? Oil pressure for the first time in its life is over 20lb at idle (hot) and generally runs at 50lb (hot) driving at 1600rpm. Amazing, yet so simple, in that the oil line that feeds the turbo is directly off the main oil filter housing - I didn't even think of it.
Performance, hmmm, a bit better than before (only a lot). Fuel economy - well that will come out during the next week of work.
So, in closing, the end result of 3 years of low oil pressure woes was the turbo letting the pressure down. One to remember I suppose for the future.
Thanks again to all of you who had given thoughts of what the problem was and how to fix it.
cheers all
Bretto ;)
PS: henryox gets the prize for being the closest to the problem ;D

Good to see you've located the offending piece of machinery - damn turbos ::)

I've just purchased an old 1980 Kenworth with a VT903, oil pressure hot at idle is 55lb and running just over 60lb, runs nice and if oil pressure tells me what nick the engine is in I hopefully won't need to touch it other then maintenance with filters oil etc.

For curiosity I've asked around with those having the NTC series engines, you get mixed values.

At least you won't have any turbo related fires like I've seen, things can get nasty when turbo's fail ;)

A ;)

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds