Skip to main content

mack diff

More
14 years 2 days ago #26787 by AUSSIE TD-40
mack diff was created by AUSSIE TD-40
just done the brakes on the on the 12 year old cab over mack at work. Its got 44000lbs rear on air, but looks the same as the heavy spring set up on the roadtrains I drove in centrail QLD, camel backs?
Anyway what I wont to know is how do you get the axel flange lose with them taper locks on the studs? I ended up just double nutting them and turning the stud out of the hub. Was told that you just hit the end of the axel and they come lose? looked like some one had belted the hek out of it with a 12lb one time!
jobs done but I would like to know how the pro's do it?

Jake

INTER TRUCKS, B-3, L-120, AL160, AACO180D, R-190, RD-200
plus a few Inter tractors eta
WARWICK QLD AUSTRALIA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 2 days ago #26788 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: mack diff

OzTD40
GuddayM8

FB Hammr
the impact of rebound, springs the tapered collerts out then use screw driver in slot to spread collet for easy removal

head of hammr needs to fully cover the mack axle end as the inner part is only a thin steel cap
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 2 days ago #26789 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: mack diff
Well as a Mechanic I can say that you need the biggest hammer you can find....and still be able to hold in the air......and if you have a good aim and backswing hit the F.....um....bugga as hard as you can in the very centre of the flange and it should bounce the collars out with only a few hits.

One very hard hit is a whole lot better that a hundred little taps. hit it hard enough and the end flange flexes and pops them out.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
14 years 1 day ago #26790 by AUSSIE TD-40
Replied by AUSSIE TD-40 on topic Re: mack diff
thanks for your replys

would need to dismount the rims and the guards then to get a good hit :o used the pallet jack to run it out and back in with the rims on.
makes you wonder if mack do it them selfs with a FB hammer?

have not had a lot to do with macks, 1 R 700 model, 3 ValueLiners, 1 SuperLiner and this cabover. They all seem to be tuff trucks, took a bit to get useto the mack split shift tho after 18 speed RR boxs.

thanks from Jake.

INTER TRUCKS, B-3, L-120, AL160, AACO180D, R-190, RD-200
plus a few Inter tractors eta
WARWICK QLD AUSTRALIA

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds