Skip to main content

Automatic?! Well, there you go...

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #2107 by Andy Wright
Okay, I'm not really terribly up to date with the latest gear that comes out on trucks these days but an experience yesterday really surprised me. A Readymix Mack 6-wheeler mixer was waiting at the lights so I slowed my walk down to hear him take off. Quite a new jigger too. Was quite surprised when the light went green as the truck moved away with barely perceptible gear changes and engine note. It really did sound like an auto box. I would not have thought this to be the greatest idea on a cement mixer given they have to drive on site where ground conditions would not be that great. Surely a manual box would be better for such conditions so you could idle through the tough stuff? But then, the CAT gear I used to drive was auto and if there was anything that would help burn a clutch out, it'd be heavy gear in low grip situations...I think, with some expert consultation, I just worked it out!
;D ::)

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by Andy Wright.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #2108 by bparo
I remember seeing a comparison in Austrlaian Transport News and those with autoboxes crept out of situations where the manual trucks bogged.

Autos and automated manual boxes seem to be getting more and more common in modern gear as it is meant to be getting hard to get experienced drivers. There are too many people around these days that have not driven a manual vehicle since their licence test.

When I did my HR licence (in 2003)I was the only person who had driven a manual car in the last 5 years out of the 20 they were training for the various licence levels. (When they asked when I last drove a manual car and I said 5 minutes ago they nearly died of shock! :))

I suppose you need to provide vehicles that people will drive if you need a driver

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by bparo.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2109 by Andy Wright
I do enjoy an automatic car when we hire one on occasion (often hard to get anything else even when you ask) cos it's just point and shoot but both Jodi and I prefer manuals by far. To me, keeps me more in tune with what's going on.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2110 by Beddie
I remember back in the late sixties early seventies hearing a Mack pulling away from lights and it sounded like a automatic, but was a Quad box and a experineced driver who made it sound like a auto. Had a ride in one with a 5x3 gearbox and the only time he used the clutch was starting off. Going both up and down the gears, and you didn't feel any gear changes. Brings back memories.

Geoff.

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #2111 by Andy Wright
Didn't they used to say that if you could two-stick and talk to the passenger at the same time you were truly a master?!

Still remember that video of Rick McCracken two-sticking. Awesome stuff. RIP.

Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by Andy Wright.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 9 months ago #2112 by Swishy
30 odd years ago twaz just the norm
to juglge the 'B' Model mack with 2 stiks
with one arm thru the steering wheel
grabn a hand full of gears
while negotiating a corner
eating a pie
talking to passenger
while reading street directory
n giving directiond to escourt vehicle
while useing the 2 way radio
LOL

WATCH IT

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 9 months ago #2113 by bparo

Didn't they used to say that if you could two-stick and talk to the passenger at the same time you were truly a master?!

Still remember that video of Rick McCracken two-sticking. Awesome stuff. RIP.

I haven't sen the video of Rick but have seen one of Gavin Spence taking his B-Model and trailer through Albury. A certain Mr Lowe has impressed me live on more than one occasion as well!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2114 by kennymopar
about 11 years ago i was driving a mid 70s hino(KL300) fully loaded + a trailer..anyway the clutch slave cylinder sh~xt itself i drove for 400kms changing gears without a clutch..at traffic lights i had to stop the motor(to get into 1st gear)then start it in gear ..wasnt the most enjoyable drive of my life! ..its times like this you wish it was a auto!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2115 by atkipete
Love that little diagram Swishy, how the hell do you do that. I learned on manual boxes of all sorts but have driven two of these new automated manual transmissions and reckon they are the way to go. Volvo I shift ( 12 speed) in a semi and Ford AMT ( 5 speed auto ) in a Transit. Both of them can shift gears faster than I can and only occasionally (in the bigger truck) do you need to override what it is trying to do.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 9 months ago #2116 by Swishy
Can Remember way back when (mid 1970's)
they tried allison auto with hi HP donks of the day
run n interstate
the only problem twaz drivers run n off Rd asleep coz of nuthing 2 do
they also twaz a little thirsty n did like a few xtra buckets of diesel
LOL
cya