Skip to main content

White Motor Corporation (Aust.) - again?

More
13 years 6 months ago #34662 by theroadbossman
Hi all, I had a moment and was able to read an August 2010 of Owner Driver magazine where I was interested to see that a bunch of enterprising people had formed a company called White Motor Corporation (Australia) Pty limited and they are to import & sell chinese made buses and trucks.

It is obvious to me that these guys have no allegiance with the White Motor Corp that produced my truck and so many others like it, but with all the names under the sun why choose White?

It won't make one iota of difference to truck values (as they are for collectors in the majority now anyway) but could it be they are trying to emerge as a strong and trusted name from the start?

Interested to know what you guys all might know
cheers
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #34663 by bigcam
Bretto, I was talking to Kit Bleakly who was the engineer at White, and basically designed the Road Boss. He told me about the bus mob, and wasn't very happy, the buggers even have a model called the Road Boss.

More
13 years 6 months ago #34664 by paul404

More
13 years 6 months ago #34665 by theroadbossman
In a round about way Cam, I figured Kit wouldn't be very happy; personally I think it is a cheap stunt to gain credibility with a cheap import. But that is business I guess...
In the ad that Paul404 has posted a link to, take a careful look at the White logo - it is remarkably similar to the script that appears in my speedo and on my sill panels - they are intent on copying to gain credibility and I don't think that is right.
But that is just an old blokes thoughts on the matter...
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
13 years 6 months ago #34666 by Jake Brake
Hi Guys, I've seen these buses here in Melbourne, and was not happy >:( to see them badged White. I thought the White logo on these buses looked very similar to the badge of a White 3000, 2064, and 1960's White 9000 and 4000. I wonder if they have approached Volvo, because Volvo I believe still own the rights to the name "White Motor Corporation" here in Australia and also in the USA.
Ray

White the greatest name in trucks.

More
13 years 6 months ago #34667 by bparo
could be an interesting legal battle there. I wonder if there is a limit. It may depend if Volvo kept the company name registration current or not. (someone who owns their own company may know more)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
13 years 6 months ago #34668 by bigcam
Bruce I don't think there will be a legal battle mate, the bus mob's been using the name for a fair while. It's a tricky one anyway, I've had a mob register a very similar name to my business, and they do the same thing, I had no joy with the business name registration mob, and the solicitor said I'd waste my money trying to fight it. Inner Circle Rum got the rights to use the name because the name hadn't been active for 8 years or something as well.

13 years 6 months ago #34669 by
How proud one should feel to have that in the fleet!!! :D

More
13 years 6 months ago #34670 by Kenworth_10x6
I actually thought you could still purchase ride on mowers with the White name on them somewhere around the place. When WMC was split up in the US the name went to Volvo and a tractor mob. I'm sure there are details on line somewhere but the small tractors had the White name like the trucks used to. I suppose someone could see if the the White Trucks is available in Australia. Is this new mob anything to do with the mob importing the new White cabbed garbage trucks. I think they were the White Madator or something like that. Volvo US had to let them go due to Anti-trust issues in the US I think, so the low cab is used for garbage trucks and the like. Maybe Peabody is involved in that and not White Motors.

10x6

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34671 by bigcam
There was a White division that made tractors, and I've seen the ride on mowers too. The garbage trucks you are talking about I think are the Autocars with the same cab as the Expediator, Transpacific (Peabody) imported 3 I think, couldn't sell any of them, and after about 3 years they eneded up in the Transpacific fleet as hook trucks, as do any of the other crap they can't sell.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by bigcam.

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds