Skip to main content

Volvo F7 GVW?

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34942 by mobilarc
Volvo F7 GVW? was created by mobilarc
1985 Volvo F7 6 cylinders, 8 speed diesel truck with a sleeper cab.

Could someone please tell me where the GVW plate is or how I can find out what the Gross Vehicle Weight is for this truck? Here are the photos I took:

This was on the door: The VIN #: YV5L7FCA0FA029073

This was on the door jam:

And this is what the book says:

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. Maybe the information is there, I just don't know. The Max Gross of 41,800 is the only one I could use. Any help would be most appreciated.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by mobilarc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 6 months ago #34943 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Volvo F7 GVW?

MobilArc

GuddayM8

Welcome to the ozy truck forum

best i can read the above
Max Front Axle = 12,000lb
Max Drive Axle = 23,000lb
Max Vehicle Weight = 35,000lb

The above weights are the maximum permitted by the factory

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected!
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34944 by
Replied by on topic Re: Volvo F7 GVW?
mobilarc, I think you would be well advised to check with your local DOT to find out the location of the GVW & GCW ratings compliance plate on your F7 Volvo, rather than asking questions of Aussies.

There are often major differences in weight ratings, from country to country .. and even from state to state, in the U.S., as I understand, from my U.S. friends.

In Australia, we no longer use GVW or GCW as rating terms .. the term used here is GVM and GCM, with "mass" replacing "weight" as the more correct, scientifically-oriented, technical term, quite a number of years ago.

In addition, the compliance plate indicating weight ratings, is always in a different position between RHD and LHD models .. and on top of that .. your trucks weight rating may have been adjusted by a previous owner, who could have carried out modifications.

Your local DOT is the first stop for all this info .. they will also likely be able to source the GVWR and GCWR information from previous or current road registration/licensing records for the particular vehicle.

www.dot.ca.gov/

www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/

More
13 years 6 months ago #34945 by mobilarc
Replied by mobilarc on topic Re: Volvo F7 GVW?
Good day to you too, Swishy !!

My equipment totals 17,800 lbs
The truck weighed in at 17,000 lbs with no load, and a half tank of fuel, at the public scales.
That is max and won't work...
Thanks for your help.

More
13 years 6 months ago #34946 by mobilarc
onetrack,

You have some seriously good information there. I will go down to the D.O.T and ask them to look up prior registrations and see what shows up. The truck was modified for a backhoe, (which is what I have, too), but my backhoe is a heavy beast, especially with my attachments!
Thank you very much for your help.

More
13 years 6 months ago #34947 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Volvo F7 GVW?
a F7 Volvo 4x2 would be about 15.5 ton GVM (x by 2.21 to get lbs) a backhoe would be around 8000kgs depending on model a case is usually a lighter weight model

More
13 years 6 months ago #34948 by mobilarc
Thanks, kennymopar2

Well, my trip to D.O.T was interesting. As it turns out, the F7 Volvo can handle 35,000 lbs. But, I am limited to what the front tires can handle because there is a 20,000 lb limit on any single axel. On a 16 ply front tire I can get up to 7,160 lbs load each, which brings me slightly below what the Volvo can carry. Example:

Rear axle: 20,000 lbs (9072 kgs) {limit, regardless what each tire can hold}

Front axle: 14,320 lbs (6495 kgs) {Each tire max load rating of 7,160 lbs X 2}

The Volvo truck is 17,000 lbs+ (7711+ kgs)
CAT 430D backhoe is 17,500 lbs+ (7938+ kgs)

Well, needless to say, it will not work. Too bad for me.

On a side note, a mechanic at the D.O.T told me that the GVW is stamped on the frame under the cab! I never verified that, so don't hold me to it!!

I want to thank everyone that stopped by and especially to those that helped me out.

mobilarc

More
13 years 6 months ago #34949 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Volvo F7 GVW?
You are not too far out, in fact some Aussie operators would reckon it was good.. Is there any weight that can be taken off either one, or tow a trailer for your extra bits. Have to get the axle loadings right but with a backhoe this is just a matter of moving it around.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 6 months ago #34950 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Volvo F7 GVW?

MobilArc
GuddayM8

Me thinks U need a tandem drive
the C@ BackHoe/F.E.Loader May B 8 ton
But ifn its a workin machine
U need to add all the bits
Buckets,spare pins,shovels Grease cartridges, mud,Fuel tank to fill beast n Nose bag
LOL
th@ 8t load could then add upto 12t or more

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34951 by
Replied by on topic Re: Volvo F7 GVW?
I'm with Swishy on this one. The Cat 430D stated weight is probably on the low side. Most manufacturers figures are highly variable, and machines always seem to end up heavier than factory specs.
In the following specs page, the "nominal" weight of a 430D is 16,217 lbs, and maximum operating weight is 21,605 lbs.

www.matt-con.com/data/430D/430DSpecs.pdf

The "nominal" weight would be a bare bones backhoe .. and if you have a backhoe with the normal addition of guards, plating, dirt, full fuel, other accessories .. and variations in specs, according to how the dealer, or you, have set the machine up .. it takes very little to get a "heavy" machine.

In addition, most equipment people carry a few spares, additional attachments, and a few tools. These all add up, and before long you have well over 20,000 lbs.

If you operate in an area where the cops are frequently seen, and scales are unavoidable .. you have no choice but to acquire a tandem truck. You could get away with a single drive, in, say, a rural area, where the cops are rarely seen, and scales are rare .. and if you're working close to home base regularly .. but if you want to be fully legal, and sail past any CHP & DOT guys on the highway, giving them a big grin .. you're gonna need that extra axle. :)

I've never seen a weight rating stamped into a chassis rail. Truck serial number, yes .. but GVW or GCW .. no. This is usually listed on a tag riveted to the cab somewhere, usually on a door post, or somewhere inside of the cab or around the engine bay.

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds