Skip to main content

Brake foot valve plumbing - please explain?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 5 months ago #37045 by Swishy

TRB Man
Gudday M8

Spose itz best to have stoppers than nun @ all
LOL

a Yanky truck has a switch to limit brakeing on the fronts so they dont loose control on icey rds etc
On a KW the dash mounted switch Sez DRY RD / SLIPPERY RD
Dunno if Mr White had th@ switch or not
Mostly all the air gear on a truck operates to a max say 75psi the rest of the 120 psi is back up to keep supplying the minium of 60 or 75psi (not sure)
U may have plumbd into the max pressure of 120psi n may B it should B plumbed via a valve to reduce the max pressure to 75psi

ButWaddaEyeKno
LOL
Here read this
n ifn U can undercanstumble it may B u can xplain it 2 me

www.google.com/patents?id=ltwMAAAAEBAJ&p...#v=onepage&q&f=false

;)

www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=5542

;)

www.tpub.com/content/trucktractor6x4/TM-...320-363-34-2_585.htm

Jist a little readin material while U suk on a tinnie

LOL

ThemzTheBrakes

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37046 by theroadbossman
Swishy,
Mr. White didn't install such switch that you mention.

Regarding air pressure, my pressure gauge on the dash is plumbed to the circuit off the foot valve, and the gauge reads mostly 120lb except when you release the parking brakes and then she dives to 80lb for a wee while. That tells me that the brakes on the old chook get full 120lb pressure.

Read all the links you attached, but no tinnie I'm sorry, and the end result is once again none of those links specify where each pipe is sposed to go to.

I have a chart drawn of the way mine is plumbed up, but it is in word file and I can't work out how to post it one here.

Can't win at the moment. :(
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #37047 by jimbo51
Bretto,
Just to clarify, you initially said you were supplied a single circuit E6 valve but the E6 is a dual circuit valve.

Has your White got a single or dual circuit air system- has it one or two air pressure gauges (or one gauge with two needles)?

Also, I think ADR35a required dual air systems and applied to trucks manufactured after July 1980, although some manufacturers may have changed earlier.

And a key difference between the old E3 and the E6 - the E3 has supply ports at the bottom and delivery ports above whereas the E6 has pairs of supply ports one above the other and pairs of delivery ports one above the other to accommodate primary and secondary circuits.

So first let's make sure you've got the right valve for the job - single or dual.

Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by jimbo51.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37048 by theroadbossman
Jimbo,
The valve that was on the truck, and the one I have replaced it with, if definately an E-6 valve.
I only have one (1) air gauge in the truck and it has only 1 needle.

The valve has 8 ports on it, 4 above and 4 below; the way it is plumbed is using 7 of the 8 ports (one is plugged).

There appears to be two lines that actually go to the brakes (they vanish under the cab somewhere, I guess they are going to the brakes..). So, is it a dual circuit? :-?

Bretto (still lost :-[)

More
13 years 5 months ago #37049 by jimbo51
Bretto,

Sounds like you've only got single circuit - other check is if you've only got one wet and one dry air tank. Two dry tanks supplying the valve would be primary and secondary ie. dual.

Unless the air lines are the colour coded plastic type it may be a case of tracing the lines to determine what each is for.

Maybe also be worth double checking with the guys who provided the valve.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37050 by scratcha
www.gnb.ca/0276/vehicle/pdf/ab_manual-e.pdf

I found this site while having a look for the info roadboss man was looking for, not really applicable to the problem at hand, but given the number of members on the forum, it may be of assistance to understanding the system and its components.
Sorry if i hijacked the topic, just thought it could be a learning experience for others.

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #37051 by Chocs
thats why i asked about the E3 Jim..
was just a thought, as its all been done before.
Had a fairly interesting / stern discussion with a rep of a major aftermarket parts supplier over just this very valve..
he was very arguable that the old tranny had an e6 or should have had..IT HAS AN E3.
I have also seen an e6's used on some things with heaps of hoses going nowhere... guages, seats, blow down hoses..more than likely retrofitted by whomever?/
ok thats my bit
regards
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 5 months ago #37052 by jimbo51
Yeah, we're thinking alike again chocs ;)

Guess the point is, just cos the E6 came out doesn't mean it shoulda been there in the first place. And you're right, it's often a lot more convenient to pick up a supply from a spare port on the brake valve than to try and tap in anywhere else.

More
13 years 5 months ago #37053 by theroadbossman
Hi again guys, I have been trying all day to put up the drawing that I jave in word so you all can see just how it is plumbed, but no matter which way I do it I can't get it up on the forum. So the next best thing is to explain each port:
The top 4 ports are marked Sup 11 and Del 21, there is 2 of each:
Sup11 - Main supply line in from air tank.
Sup11 - Feed line out to lower port
Del21 - Brake light switch
Del21 - Brake line

The bottom 4 ports are marked 12 Sup and 22 Del, there is 2 of each:
12Sup - Feed line in from upper port
12Sup - Goes up into the cabin, I think the parking brake switch (maxi's)
22Del - Brake line
22Del - plugged

Does this help guys??? :-[
Bretto ;)

More
13 years 5 months ago #37054 by bigcam
I'll put up some pictures of mine later mate.

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds