Skip to main content

Port Adelaide Wharf photo's

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #45659 by Mick themungrel
Am doing a fair bit at the moment on the wharf's and there is some unusual gear there at the moment .

Imported from Asia 3 trailers to a pack

Wind tower genny weight 80 tonnes , 8 wheeler Kenworth 908 dollie 2 rows of 8 , float 4 rows of 8.

2 blades packed loaded on extendible . Quad rear with a single axle dollie . About 45m in length .
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Mick themungrel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #45660 by bigcam
Hi Mick, copy and paste the IMG code mate.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #45661 by Mick themungrel
Thanks bigcam I copied the wrong code , should be right now .

This float turned up yesterday behind a Globetrotter 660 .
Must be something big coming in ,
8 rows of 8

Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Mick themungrel.

More
13 years 2 months ago #45662 by Mick themungrel
Update on the wind tower blades .
48m length
40 t . 2 blades plus packing frame .

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #45663 by
Replied by on topic Re: Port Adelaide Wharf photo's
Windfarms are all the go at present. I understand the one at Macarthur in Vic is 365MW, and is one of the biggest windfarms in Australia, going in at present.

They're building another whopper windfarm at Collgar, about 25km SE of Merredin in W.A. It's 206MW, and comprises 111 turbines initially. A $750M project, which is a nice boost to the economy.

The turbines are Danish Vestas V90-1.8/2.0MW, and they weigh 70 tonnes each, complete. The tower is steel tube, and the blades are carbon fibre/fibreglass.

The turbine components are coming from all over. Vestas have factories in every second country in Europe, as well as an assembly factory in India.
They make the towers in two factories in Denmark, and one in Colorado, U.S.A.

The Collgar windfarm will produce more power than the two other major operational windfarms in W.A., at Albany and Emu Downs.
The farmers get paid a nice annual fee for every tower buggering up their paddocks. It probably pays better than farming, in that marginal country .. :D

The turbine components arrive at the Port of Bunbury and are trucked to Collgar via Narembeen. The blades are 44M long.
Each turbine is trucked to Collgar in 7 truck loads. They rock up with a convoy every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, for 6 months.
They started bringing them in at the end of Sept 2010, and will finish haulage at the end of March 2011.

The Collgar windfarm is expected to be completed by 30th April 2012. Here's some pics (below) from the ABC, of the concrete tower bases and the trucks hauling in the blades.
It appears that they are using some type of dedicated extendable trailer for the blades.

The interesting bit is that the towers are 80M high, and about 90M with the turbine/nacelle on top. They have a crawler crane there, which has 100M reach, and it must be fairly tippy-toeing to get that lift in place.
You would really need to have your wind management system in place, when doing a lift. Imagine getting hit with a serious wind gust, right at the maximum lift point! :o

The pilots are doing a bit of a gripe about huge windfarms, particularly near major airstrips. Merredin has quite a bit of flying activity.
Not only are the turbines over 120M high to the top of the vertical blade tips .. but I guess it would get pretty hairy, if you had an engine failure, and you only had a huge area of spinning blades, to set your plane down in!

Wind Power in Australia .. ramblingsdc.net/Australia/WindPower.html

Collgar Windfarm picture gallery .. www.collgarwindfarm.com.au/library/gallery

More
13 years 2 months ago #45664 by Mick themungrel
Just been down to the wharf in my ute (day off ha) fixing some trailer lights and this ship has come in . Its classed as heavy lift . the cranes have a SWL of 80t each .

They are unloading transformers and the 8 rows of 8 will be used for a 106t transformer .

More
13 years 2 months ago #45665 by Mick themungrel
Here is a link to SA wind farms .
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_South_Australia

Last lot of blades that came in were set up like yours Onetrack .

More
13 years 2 months ago #45666 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Port Adelaide Wharf photo's
Mick, I hate those wind farm generators with a PASSION. They are a blight on the hills & all they're good for is scrapmetal. From what I'm told Australia is getting old technology & the newer units in Europe are much more efficient than the one's that we have. Ah well at least someone's making a dollar from freighting them, although we all pay in the long run. That's my rant for the week. Keep the pictures coming Mick cos other guys will like to see em. Cya Tim >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( :'(

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
13 years 2 months ago #45667 by Mick themungrel
Tim the cockies are making dollars from them as well .
Got a few days off at the moment so I will miss the big transformer being unloaded . The heavy lift ship has transformers etc for the wind farms

More
13 years 2 months ago #45668 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Port Adelaide Wharf photo's
G,day Mick, just been looking at the heavy lift ship, if you had to take to the lifeboat it'd certainly be a lively ride to launch it. That's a fair old angle to hit the water from, especially if the ship was down in the head a bit. Could be a big drop. cya & thanks for the photo's Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds